EPP405 - Professional Identity and Curriculum Work
2020 unit information
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
Must be enrolled in E377
EPP401 - For students in current course version of E377 commencing from 2016
EPP305 - For students in pipelining course version of E377 only
Students will on average spend 150 hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
|Scheduled learning activities - campus||
1 x 1-hour class per fortnight, 1 x 3-hour seminar per week (21-hours)
Professional experience: Students will be required to complete a 25-day professional experience placement
This is the sixth of the six units in the Education Studies Major. This unit is the final Education Studies Major unit. The unit engages with the transition from pre-service teacher to in-service teacher. The students will revisit their professional stance as it has developed from the beliefs articulated in Year 1 through to this final stepping off point.
They will gather evidence, document, analyse and reflect on practice to investigate and examine the role of the teacher and professional standards in secondary contexts. Students will select key teaching, learning and assessment artefacts aligned with the relevant professional standards, and build their professional portfolio to provide evidence of their professional identity and understanding of curriculum as community and complexity. Ethical and legal imperatives in teachers work will also be addressed. Students will be involved in online communication with staff and peers as they develop their final professional portfolio entries.
This unit includes 25 days professional experience – a five-week block in trimester 2, in a secondary setting. During these days, the pre-service teacher will:
- undertake an orientation to the school environment
- plan units of work/whole class program for a class at junior and/or senior levels of the school using an appropriate format for extended planning as discussed with supervising teachers
- teach lessons for a class at junior and/or senior levels of the school; the equivalent of 2x50 minute lessons per day (one in each method) over the 25 day period.
- observe lessons: equivalent of 1x50 minute lesson in each method, per day, over the duration of the placement
- become fully involved in the life and operations of the school, as per a beginning teacher
- conduct 3-5 parent/student/teacher interviews
Satisfactory completion of the professional experience placement is required in order to pass this unit
Unit Fee Information
Click on the fee link below which describes you: