Ranked #20 online MBA worldwide
Top 1% of universities worldwide*
40 years of distance and online teaching excellence
Become confident in a boardroom setting utilising our work-ready tools and templates
This masterclass is designed for managers and executives seeking a practical understanding of working with a board and/or aspiring to become a non-executive director on a board.
You'll investigate contemporary governance principles, how to effectively and efficiently support information flow and decision-making, differentiators of great non-executive directors and high-performing boards, and how boards can add real value.
You'll have an opportunity to explore your aspirations, learn how to get started and discover your potential boardroom X-factor.
This engaging mix of presentation, virtual exercises, self-reflection and group simulation will heighten your experiential learning. You'll take away a handful of 'work-ready tools' and templates that you can immediately apply.
Presenter: Jo Plummer
Jo is known for her optimistic, energetic style and has been affectionately coined the 'positive provocateur'. She is a Deakin MBA alumni and Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) Fellow.
Her portfolio includes numerous board chair and committee roles, co-ownership of Business in Heels International, professional director mentoring, as well as pursuing what she calls her 'fun with purpose projects' – educating, presenting and MC'ing.
- Why boards exist - The attributes of a great director examples of ‘good’ director questions
- Contemporary governance principles, processes, systems and information flow
- Top tips for getting decisions across the line the Performance Formula ©
- Exploring recent events participant presentations exploration and summary of key issues and opportunities session three briefing tools and templates
- Learn by doing boardroom simulation exploring the Performance Formula©
- Challenges of the executive to director leap
- Why do highly effective senior managers sometimes struggle to make great board directors?
- Understanding your boardroom aspirations, understanding your motivation
- Benefits of becoming a director, defining your boardroom X-factor
- How and where to get started where to look
- A list of helpful resources to get you started what’s next?
You must attend all four masterclass sessions to record a pass mark.
For more information on this and other masterclasses, please check our frequently asked questions (PDF, 132KB).
You're required to submit a 1000-word pre-masterclass investigation of a recent high-profile governance/ board issue. You'll present this during the masterclass and also undertake a group-based simulation activity.
Following the masterclass, you'll be required to submit a 1000-word self-reflection outlining how you would apply the learnings, tools and practises to your own workplace or career journey.
*ARWU Rankings 2020