- develop highly sought after industry skills, experiences and networking
- have hands-on experience within the Deakin CASS state-of-the-art sensory
- have the opportunity to co-write and contribute to research papers intended for publishing
- coordinate and conduct an in the field consumer science test
- tour a food industry manufacturing and R&D site. Conditional acceptance into the sensory honours program for 2021*
- receive a certificate of program completion and a letter of recommendation.
With the number of graduates in the area of food and nutrition increasing, there is fierce competition for graduate job positions. Employers are now placing a greater emphasis on what additional skills and experience graduates have obtained aside from their formal university education.
As part of the CASS-Academy you'll:
Applications for CASS-Academy 2020 are now closed.
I initially applied for CASS Academy as it was a new area of food science I hadn’t explored in the first two years of my undergraduate. The program allowed me to work with leaders in research and create industry contacts!
2017 CASS-Academy graduate
Any third-year Deakin student currently studying the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences or Bachelor of Health Sciences majoring in food studies or nutrition is eligible to apply.
A WAM score of 65 or above is advised.
Please note that the CASS-Academy program is a Faculty of Health-approved program, but it's not a Deakin-approved course unit.
How to apply
To apply, complete the online application form by the due date.
The application contains the following questions (max 100 words each):
- What is your future career goal?
- Why does sensory and consumer science appeal to you?
- What is your motivation for applying to the CASS-Academy?
After submissions are received, the top 20 shortlisted applicants will be notified and attend a formal interview.
The top four successful applicants will then be notified via email or phone.
Successful applicants for CASS-Academy will be determined based on their overall demonstrated passion to further their study or career path into the areas of sensory, flavour or consumer science.
Being a student in the CASS-Academy not only gave me the opportunity to gain employment within the CASS laboratory, but also led me to complete an honours year in sensory marketing, and now I have gone on to begin a PhD within CASS.