Refunds for international students about to start at Deakin
If you know that you need to withdraw from your course of study (or even just an individual unit), you should do so as soon as possible. The first date of the teaching period and the census date is different every trimester, and may vary across courses, so it is a good idea to check these dates.
If you are considering withdrawing, you can find out whether or not you are eligible for a refund on one of our withdrawal dates and penalties pages:
Withdrawing four weeks before you start
We are able to offer a 90% refund if you withdraw from your unit or units at least four weeks before the start of the teaching period.
Withdrawing before the census date
If you have missed the four-week window, we can still arrange a 50% refund – as long as you withdraw before the census date.
Withdrawing after the census date
We are unable to offer a refund if you withdraw from your unit or units after the census date. If you are worried that you may be unable to continue studying after the census date, contact Student Central prior to amending your enrolment.
Refunds for international students who are continuing at Deakin
If you are a continuing international student (you have already completed one or more trimesters of study), and you need to withdraw from a unit or units of study, we are able to arrange:
- a 100% refund if you withdraw from the unit or units before the start of the third week of trimester
- a 50% refund if you withdraw from the unit or units between the start of the third week of trimester and the census date.
We are not able to arrange a refund if you withdraw after the census date.
Refunds for DUELI students
Prospective DUELI students are advised that:
- A course is defined as the total length of your enrolment at DUELI
- Refunds will not be granted after your DUELI course has commenced
- The enrolment and orientation fee is non-refundable.
DUELI students may be able to request for a partial or full refund of course fees depending on your circumstances.
Refunds prior to DUELI course commencement
Requests for refunds received less than 28 days prior to the commencement of the course will receive a refund of 50% of the tuition fee.
The maximum amount retained by Deakin will not exceed 12 weeks of the published tuition fee.
A full refund of tuition fees paid may be given under special circumstances. Such circumstances are those that are beyond the control of the student or those which make it impossible for the student to continue.
The following reasons are grounds to apply for a full refund:
- A student is refused a student visa by the Commonwealth Government authorities
- An offer is withdrawn or an enrolment terminated because the University is unable to provide the course of study
- The government has limited Deakin's right to conduct courses for overseas students
- A student is unable to fulfil the conditions of an offer
- A student fails to meet progression rules and is not permitted to re-enrol
- A student provides written advice more than four weeks prior to the commencement of the English language course.
Executive discretion may be exercised to consider applications which do not comply with the above provisions but for which extraordinary circumstances may exist. An application for a refund in special circumstances must be made in writing and sent to the Director of DUELI. Proof of payment of the fees (e.g. an official receipt) and validation of the reasons for applying for a refund will be required.
Methods of refund
- New students should notify the Director of DUELI in writing if they wish to cancel enrolment.
- If Deakin defaults in the provision of the course the refund will be made within two weeks of the default event.
- If the student defaults the refund will be made within four weeks of the University being notified.
- Refunds will be made by cheque or EFT in Australian dollars only.
- Refunds in the form of the transfer of fees to Deakin University or Deakin College will not be made directly to a student.
- Refunds may be made to a nominated person/sponsor who initially paid the student's fees.
If you are currently studying with us as an international student, you can find detailed current student refund information on our student site.