Organising your visa is an important part of studying at Deakin. We have resources and staff who can help you understand your visa and requirements and support you through your application process.

What sort of visa you'll need

Most international students will be on a student visa.* Student visas have several visa subclasses. Your subclass will depend on your level of study, and will be either:

  • Student visa (subclass 500)
  • Student guardian visa (subclass 590)

Some international students may also be on other visa types such as bridging visas, temporary residence visas, working holiday visas or even, in some circumstances, tourist visas.

It's important that you know what type of visa you're on so that you can meet the requirements of that visa.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for more information about visa types.

*Due to COVID-19 restrictions, students should not submit an application for a student visa until they have completed all requirements of the visa application and the Australian Government has declared that visa processing has re-commenced. Currently the Australian government is only processing visas for applicants who are offshore in limited circumstances. For more information please visit

How to apply for your visa

The first step is to apply for your Deakin course. You can apply online or through a Deakin representative in your country.

Once you accept your offer, you will receive a confirmation of enrolment (CoE).

Before you apply for your student visa, you'll need:

  • a valid passport
  • an electronic confirmation of enrolment (CoE)
  • to be able to pay for visa application fees
  • all the documents required of your visa application.

For more information about documents you require for your visa application, visit the Department of Home Affairs website and speak with your agent.

Find out more about confirmation of enrolment
Find a Deakin representative in your country

Your student visa conditions

Your visa will come with certain conditions.

Some of these conditions are:

  • completing your course in the timeframe listed on your confirmation of enrolment (CoE)
  • having overseas student health cover (OSHC) for the whole time you're in Australia
  • not transferring to a different university within the first six months of your time here
  • not exceeding allowable work hours
  • maintain enrolment (maintain a valid CoE)
  • notify each change of home address to your education provider
  • maintaining school arrangements for school-aged children if you bring your children with you to Australia.

There may be other conditions, depending on what type of visa you have. You'll need to check your conditions and make sure you meet them at all times so that your visa stays valid while you're in Australia.

Find out more about visa conditions on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Taking courses online

You can take up to one third (or equivalent) of your course units online if you're an international student.

This is calculated from your total course points, after any recognition of prior learning points are deducted.

For more information, please visit the online study page here.

Taking a break from studying

If you need to take a break from studying, you can apply for an intermission or a short term leave of absence.


An intermission is an approved break from study, generally lasting for the remainder of your trimester or the whole of your next trimester (for up to two consecutive trimesters). 

You can apply for intermission if you are experiencing illness, a death in the family, or another serious circumstance that's beyond your control.

If your intermission is approved, you'll be able to stay in Australia for up to 28 days after the intermission period starts.

If you don't leave Australia within these 28 days, you may have your visa cancelled.

Short-term leave of absence

A short-term leave of absence is a break of up to 10 working days during trimester.

You can apply for a short-term leave of absence if you need to:

  • return home for short-term medical treatment
  • attend a wedding or a funeral
  • deal with a family problem that requires your presence
  • tend to the illness or death of a family member.

Taking leave could affect the status of your visa or confirmation of enrolment – you can always discuss your circumstances with the team at Student Central for advice about taking a break from your studies.

Working on a student visa

You can work part time during trimesters 1 and 2 – up to 40 hours a fortnight. If you're not enrolled in any units during Trimester 3, you'll be able to work as much as you want to (unless Trimester 3 is a compulsory trimester for your course).

Find out about working as an international student

Changing your enrolment

You might be able to change your course of study – it depends on the type of course you applied for and the type of visa you've been granted.

Changing your course of study could change the status of your visa. It's a good idea to discuss your plans with the team at Student Central who are ready to assist you if you're considering changing your enrolment.

Read more about changing courses on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Read more about your confirmation of enrolment

Your family and your student visa

You may be able to bring your family with you when you come to Australia on a student visa.

The people who are eligible to come with you are:

  • your children
  • your partner
  • your parent or guardian.

There's a lot to consider if you and your family move to Australia – like finding a school for your children. There may also be certain conditions that your family will have to meet while they're here.

Find out more about bringing your family to Australia on the Department of Home Affairs website.