A leader in aquaculture research and training
Based at Deakin’s Waurn Ponds campus, the AquaFI Lab will position Victoria as a leader in aquaculture research and training; identifying break-through mechanisms to enhance industry growth and create jobs in Victoria and across Australia.
Aquaculture is the fastest growing food production sector globally and is vital to meeting the food demands of future generations. Incorporating existing capabilities, the AquaFI Lab will focus on sustainable fish production, novel feed and aquaculture technology development, and industry training. The work will expand into feed extrusion technology and the development of sustainable ingredients and raw materials for next-generation circular bioeconomy approaches for the seafood sector.
A key outcome is the delivery of a $2.6 million feed extrusion plant for feed manufacture and innovation.
Our capabilities and services
The AquaFI Lab will build on Deakin’s strong track record of success in aquaculture and in taking innovation to impact.
Engaging with existing and new industry partners in research and development through a suite of research and industry services, the AquaFI Lab will support a pipeline of commercial entities and pathways to activate IP.
The AquaFI Lab has seven unique service offerings:
- Aquaculture R&D - Advanced R&D for industry to develop new products, test technologies, investigate climate mitigation strategies and improve product quality.
- Raw material development - Novel processing technologies converting high volume, low value materials into high value materials and bioactives.
- Bespoke feeds - Commercialisation of feeds for the hobbyist industry and research community.
- Feed manufacturing services - Customised manufacturing of feeds charged at fee-for-service rate.
- Feed extrusion courses - Intensive training focusing on extruder operation and maintenance.
- Expert services - Consulting services to commercial feed companies, raw material producers and farmers.
- Co-Innovation Research and Training Spaces - Multifunctional spaces to enable co-innovation with industry stakeholders and collaborators.
To find out how you can partner with us contact Deakin Research
This project includes co-contributions from the Victorian Higher Education State Investment Fund (VHESIF).
For further information on our other VHESIF funded projects please visit the links below.