Applications for Trimester 1 2023 open 1 September 2022.
Applications for Trimester 1 2023 close 15 February 2023 5pm.
This scholarship offers cash payments and has a total scholarship value of $17,500 which will be paid over 3 or 4 years depending on your course duration.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must:
- be an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- commence your studies in a bachelor or postgraduate by coursework degree at Deakin University in Trimester 1 2023
- be enrolled full-time
- living in a rural or regional home location.
Preference will be given to students:
- enrolled in an undergraduate degree
- who are experiencing an area of hardship
- who are not in receipt of an additional scholarship
- enrolled in their first tertiary qualification.
As a scholarship recipient, you must:
- provide an introductory statement about your goals for study and what it means to receive the scholarship
- complete a yearly impact statement for the duration of the scholarship
- maintain a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 50 for the duration of the scholarship
- be open to engaging with the donor to complete a report/story including photos of your experience which can be used to promote the program to stakeholder groups including student material, annual reports, marketing, etc
- provide a completion statement at the conclusion of your studies.
As part of the application process, you will also be required to upload current supporting documentation.
When you apply for this scholarship, you'll need to supply evidence of your financial and/or medical hardship (if applicable).
Make sure you choose the correct document type when you upload your documents as it will make a difference. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect type they will not be considered when assessing your application. Remember it is quality, not quantity, which you need to provide. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
Applying for a scholarship isn’t just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It’s a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, how it will help you and what you have to offer the Deakin community.
How to apply
Apply through VTAC
If you’ve applied to study at Deakin through VTAC and have completed a VTAC scholarship application, you’ll be considered for this scholarship.
Apply directly to Deakin
All other applicants can apply for this scholarship directly to Deakin through our Scholarship Application Portal.
When applying direct to Deakin for this scholarship, select either the 'Undergraduate Scholarship Application Tri/Sem 1 2023' or the 'Postgraduate Scholarship Application Tri/Sem 1 2023' option and, if eligible, your application will automatically be considered for this scholarship.
This reduces the number of scholarships you have to apply for and increases your chances of receiving a Deakin scholarship.
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
What happens next?
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the details you provide and your supporting documentation.
If you are successful, you will be contacted by the email address you nominated within your application portal account, unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted.
You'll find out if you were successful usually within six weeks of the application closing date. If you have not received an offer by this time, you have been unsuccessful. You can view the status of your application via your scholarship application portal account.
Next offering period
This scholarship is yet to be confirmed for any future offering periods. Please check back at this page at a later date for any updates.