Deakin Elite Athlete Program
Deakin University is a proud member of the Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) program. We strongly believe that succeeding as an athlete doesn’t mean sacrificing your studies. Through our Elite Athlete Program, we help our elite athletes to achieve academic excellence while also pursuing a sporting career.
Deakin University understands the demands placed upon elite athletes to balance their studies and sporting commitments, and the need to support student athletes to enable them to succeed in both areas. We're also aware that sport is constantly progressing and evolving, with more sports moving into an elite environment, leading to more athletes balancing sport and academic pursuits. As such, we've expanded the Australian Institute of Sport’s definition of elite athletes to incorporate more sports, and also included a second category of support for emerging athletes.
Who are elite athletes?
To qualify for the Elite Athlete Program as an elite athlete, you must be registered with one or more of the following groups:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State institutes or academies of sport
- AFL Players Association
- Australian Cricketers Association
- Rugby League Professionals Association
- Rugby Union Players Association
- Australian Professional Footballers Association
- National senior squad members from Australian Sports Commission recognised sports.
To qualify for the Elite Athlete Program as an emerging athlete, you must be a member of one or more of the following groups:
- Junior national squad members from Australian Sports Commission recognised sports1
- Senior state squad members from Australian Sports Commission recognised sports1
- World University Games/Championships selection
- National League representative2.
1 Final Squad
2 Selected as an individual athlete, not as a member of a team that has been selected
What is the Elite Athlete Program?
Deakin University’s Elite Athlete Program offers support and benefits to student athletes in a range of ways. These vary from academic assistance and course flexibility to financial support and gym access.
If you have sporting commitments or conflicts we can help you negotiate your assessment deadlines and attendance at lectures and tutorials. We can also:
- give you course and academic planning advice
- help you tailor your workload to your sports program
- help organise a leave of absence if you have increased sporting commitments
- organise for you to study at other universities or online while you’re travelling for training or competition.
- support you with special consideration, class attendance and exam relocations
- help with reminders for important dates, e.g. re-application and census dates.
The Deakin University Elite Athlete Program also has a number of other benefits for elite student athletes while studying, including yearly DeakinACTIVE gym membership and financial support through the Elite Athlete Support Grants.
Bonus point scheme
The following courses attract an elite athlete bonus on a sliding scale for those students defined as elite athletes. Elite athletes are defined in line with Deakin's membership of the Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) network.
The cap on the elite athlete bonus scheme is five aggregate points. The following courses uses this bonus, however, these haven't been built into the SEAS Calculator on our website:
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science (Regional and Remote)
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science/Bachelor of Business (Sport Management)
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science/Bachelor of Business (Sport Management) (Regional and Remote).
If you have any questions regarding Deakin University's Elite Athlete Program, or for further information, please contact the Elite Sport Coordinator.
Elite Sport Coordinator
Deakin Sport and Recreation
Phone: +61 3 9244 3732
Mobile: 0438 712 324
Email Jack Duke