Specialist teaching methods

Thinking about a career change and want to realise your dream of supporting and inspiring young people through education? To study a postgraduate secondary teaching degree in Australia, you’ll need to have suitable undergraduate qualifications in two specialist teaching method areas that are mapped to learning areas from the National Curriculum.

Understanding specialist teaching method areas

Teaching method areas are the learning areas (for compulsory years 7 to 10) and subject disciplines (for post-compulsory schooling senior years 11–12) mapped to the eight learning areas from the National Curriculum. They help determine which secondary school subjects you’re qualified to teach. To qualify to teach a senior discipline and its associated teaching method, for example, chemistry, you must have studied a major or minor in chemistry plus another science area in your bachelor degree.

The best way to find out what method areas you are eligible for is to check your university transcript and review your double majors, majors* and minors^ against our current list of approved teaching methods below.

What teaching methods do Deakin offer?

Deakin provides both single and double/dual teaching methods in a range of learning areas.

Single teaching methods

  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Biology (Science)
  • Chemistry (Science)
  • Environmental science (Science)
  • Physics (Science)
  • Physical Education
  • Psychology (Science)ˆ
  • Humanities
  • Geography (Humanities)
  • Home Economics
  • History (Humanities)
  • Commerce/Business (Humanities)ˆ
  • SOSE
  • Languages
  • Health
  • Dance (Burwood Campus only) (Arts)
  • Drama (Burwood Campus only) (Arts)
  • Music (Arts)
  • Visual arts (Arts)

ˆEligible for Master of Teaching (Secondary) only

Dual/double teaching methods

A dual method is two different methods within the same learning area. For example, dance and drama are both in the arts learning area, just as chemistry and biology are both within the science learning area.

If you studied a specialised undergraduate degree that is mapped to one method of study then you may be eligible for a double method area. For example, if you completed a specialist undergraduate degree in dance, drama, music or visual art you can choose to study a double method area that boosts your employment options in secondary schools where major productions and exhibitions are part of their offering.

  • Mathematics – double
  • Science – dual
  • LOTE/TESOL – dual
  • Humanities/SOSE – dual
  • Humanities/history – dual
  • The arts – dual
  • Dance – double (Burwood Campus only)
  • Drama – double (Burwood Campus only)
  • Music – double
  • Visual arts – double
  • SOSE – double


Which method areas am I eligible to study?

The best way to confirm your method areas is to check your university transcript against the list of approved teaching methods above and apply for your desired postgraduate secondary teaching course. Our admissions team will then be in contact to advise you on your eligibility.

Find out how to apply for your course

What if I don’t have a relevant degree to qualify for a specific method area?

You have an option to undertake units or a short course before applying to be eligible. You should take the time to look carefully at what constitutes a teaching method area to be sure that the study you are undertaking will be formally recognised.

What if I want to become a primary school teacher?

If you want to teach primary school-aged children and study the Master of Teaching (Primary) or Master of Teaching (Primary and Early Childhood) then you will need to have at least one year of full-time equivalent study relevant to one or more learning areas of the primary National Curriculum plus a minor in one curriculum learning area.

I’d like to teach music but don’t have a relevant undergraduate degree. Can I still apply and teach this method area?

Unfortunately, no, unless you want to teach music enough to complete a specialist undergraduate degree in this field. That said, once you are qualified – at the discretion of your school principal – you may be able to teach ‘out of field’. Out-of-field teaching can be based on your interest, passion or the needs of the school, and is entirely up to your principal.

Please note that this information is general in nature and is not specific to your circumstances.

*Major study is equivalent to a total of three-quarters of a year successful equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL), usually comprising sequential discipline study taken over three years. In most programs this equates to six units, with no more than two units at first-year level and no fewer than two units at third-year level.

^Minor study is equivalent to a total of half-a-year successful EFTSL, usually comprising sequential discipline study taken over two years. In most programs this equates to four units, with no more than two units at first-year level.

Further information

If you'd like to explore more guidelines for teaching in Victoria, including registering as a teacher, the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) website has a wealth of information you may find helpful.

Visit the VIT website