How it works
Orientation will be held online for all students whilst COVID-19 travel restrictions are in place. Students who are able to study on campus will also be asked to come on campus to take part in the orientation program.
The steps below explain the orientation process once you receive and accept your offer to study English with us.
Step 1: Getting started email
We will send you your first email about a week before your Orientation Day. It will include the following information:
- Setting up your Deakin username and password – once this is done you will have access to Deakin’s online resources.
- Adding your contact details – put your contact details into Student Connect so we can get in touch with you.
- Class guidelines – you need to read and confirm that you understand what will be expected of you in a DUELI environment.
- Activating your Deakin Zoom account – Zoom is our preferred online platform for classes and is included in your course fees. You will just need to activate your new Deakin Zoom account.
- Registering for an online Orientation – we will send you a link to register for an Orientation session which will take place on Zoom.
- Preparing your study space – your home classroom should include a comfortable place to study away from distraction, earphones and a microphone for your computer.
- DUELI handbook – this handbook can answer a lot of your questions about studying an English course at through Deakin University.
- Online campus tour – take a virtual tour of Deakin and learn about us.
Step 2: Orientation session reminder
The second email you receive from us will include further details regarding your orientation session.
Step 3: Getting ready for classes
The third and last email will tell you more about:
- Getting a student card – your Deakin ID card is not just your ID, library, and access card. By loading money onto your card, you can print and pay for all your on-campus purchases. (ID card production may be delayed due to COVID-19 restrictions.)
- The DUELI blog – this is where you can find the information you need – the timetable, the class list, upcoming events.
- What's next? – your new teacher will invite you to your first class soon – time to study!
The next DUELI Orientation will be on Wednesday 14 April 2021, starting from 11.45am AEDT.
Next DUELI Orientation: 11.45am AEDT, 14 April 2021.Got a question? Email us