How it works
Orientation will be held online for all students whilst COVID-19 travel restrictions are in place. Students who are able to study on campus will also be asked to come on campus, where they will have a welcome program organised for them.
The steps below explain the orientation process once you receive and accept your offer to study English with us.
Step 1: Getting started email
We will send you your first email about a week before your Orientation Day. It will include the following information:
- Setting up your Deakin username and password – once this is done you will have access to Deakin’s online resources.
- Adding your contact details – put your contact details into Student Connect so we can get in touch with you.
- Class guidelines – you need to read and confirm that you understand what will be expected of you in a DUELI environment.
- Activating your Deakin Zoom account – Zoom is our preferred online platform for classes and is included in your course fees. You will just need to activate your new Deakin Zoom account.
- Registering for an online Orientation – we will send you a link to register for an Orientation session which will take place on Zoom.
- Preparing your study space – your home classroom should include a comfortable place to study away from distraction, earphones and a microphone for your computer.
- DUELI handbook – this handbook can answer a lot of your questions about studying an English course at through Deakin University.
- Online campus tour – take a virtual tour of Deakin and learn about us.
Step 2: Orientation session reminder
The second email you receive from us will include further details regarding your orientation session.
Step 3: Getting ready for classes
The third and last email will tell you more about:
- Getting a student card – your Deakin ID card is not just your ID, library, and access card. By loading money onto your card, you can print and pay for all your on-campus purchases. (ID card production may be delayed due to COVID-19 restrictions.)
- The DUELI blog – this is where you can find the information you need – the timetable, the class list, upcoming events.
- What's next? – your new teacher will invite you to your first class soon – time to study!
The next DUELI Orientation will be on Wednesday 14 April 2021, starting from 11.45am AEDT.
Next DUELI Orientation: 11.45am AEDT, 14 April 2021.Got a question? Email us