Get into the classroom sooner
As a pre-service teacher you’ll take part in an immersive and dynamic professional experience program from your first year. You’ll get to work with children in schools and early childhood centres and be mentored by experienced teachers. We work with international, national and regional schools and communities combining practical experience with the very latest in educational theory. Deakin graduates are ready to teach today and into the future.
International, national and rural professional experience
You can choose to undertake your professional experience overseas and in remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and regional contexts through our global, national and rural immersion experiences.
A world of cross-cultural teaching experiences awaits you through:
- Deakin's global programs work in schools across Australasia, Europe and the Americas in partnership with international partners
- full immersion in local communities, often living with local families
- pre-service teachers undertake a social justice role and give back during the professional experience
- our ongoing sustained relationships with communities in far North Queensland, South Australia, Victoria and the Northern Territory
- our rural education immersion experiences could have you teaching across the Horsham Wimmera region or as far away as the south coast
- Deakin provides additional funding and support whilst you gain experience teaching in rural communities.
These opportunities (global, national, and rural) are highly sought after and by application only.
Education and educational research at Deakin is ranked number 1 in Australia and number 5 globally*. We are recognised as leaders in primary and secondary teacher education, early childhood educator preparation, educational leadership and adult vocational and applied learning education.
Professor Damian Blake
Head of School of Education
A broad range of education and teaching courses means you can specialise in the field of your choice.
Our research is changing the way the world thinks about education
Thinking about doing a higher degree by research? We offer a supportive and engaging environment, encouraging innovation and research excellence.
Deakin academics have a world-class reputation, working to advance intercultural and interdisciplinary approaches to education. In collaboration with one of Deakin's strategic research centres, Research for Educational Impact, we explore issues around our communities and policy and practice within a vibrant research culture.
Our staff are specialists in their fields
We are passionate about education and providing the right foundation for your teaching career. Use our school staff list to learn more about our expertise and contact individual staff members.
*U.S. News & World Report, Best Global Universities subject rankings 2022-2023
For more information contact the School of Education.
+61 3 5227 3553
Student enrolment enquiries
Melbourne Burwood Campus
+61 3 9246 8100
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
+61 3 5227 1359
+61 3 5563 3489