Kristy's research focuses on the relationship between journalism, place-making and social order, especially in local and digital settings. She is interested in issues of media power and how everyday media-related practices inform understandings of news sustainability in the digital era. She also examines centre/periphery tensions, especially in regards to perceptions of the rural, local and agricultural issues. Kristy is the co-author of two books (Palgrave, Routledge), co-editor of two published edited collections (Routledge) and is the associate editor of Digital Journalism (Routledge). She is currently a chief investigator on two projects funded by the Australian Research Council. Kristy is especially passionate about education and training of practicing journalists in local/regional settings and encouraging media professionals to pursue life-long learning.
local, hyperlocal and community news; media power and society, media, social capital and civic participation, journalistic place-making, media, rurality and agriculture.
Phd supervision in areas of digital journalism, local, rural and agricultural communication, media and place-making, media, social order and civic participation.
- Deakin University Faculty of Arts and Education Mid Career Researcher Award - 2019
- Deakin University Faculty of Arts and Education Early Career Researcher Award - 2018
- National Teaching Excellence Award nomination, 2015
- OLT Citation for teaching excellence, 2014
- APA Scholarship PhD University of South Australia 2010-2013
- Deakin University Vice Chancellor Award for Teaching Excellence ,2009
- Deakin University Vice Chancellor Award for Contribution to Rural and Regional Engagement, 2009
- Dean's award for excellence in team teaching 2009
- Deakin University Faculty of Arts & Education teaching award for an early career
FOR RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS PLEASE VIEW https://deakin.academia.edu/KristyHess
CURRENT ARC PROJECTS
Lead investigator LP18010013 'Media Innovation and the civic future of Australia's country press 2019-2022 (with Prof. Lisa Waller (RMIT), Prof. Matthew Ricketson (Deakin).
Chief Investigator DP190101282 'Breaking Silences: Media and the Child Abuse Royal Commission' 2019-2022 (with Prof. Kerry McCallum (University of Canberra), Assoc Prof Tanya Dreher (UNSW), Prof. Lisa Waller (RMIT).
OTHER CURRENT FUNDED PROJECTS
Chief investigator 'Social impact of war in a regional Australian setting', Department of Veteran Affairs Saluting their Sevice Community Commenorative Grant 2019-2020 (with Dr Sarah Pinto (Deakin)).