Dr Siew Mee Barton is a Lecturer in the Department of Management in Deakin Business School. Siewmee has taught business communication and intrapersonal skills.
Her teaching interest areas include cross-cultural communication in a non-western perspective on human communication. It aims to discover and examine the ways in which social and cultural, and other human factors shape the adoption and use of information technology for online teaching.
Siewmee's research aims to advance understanding of the phenomenon of women and social entrepreneurship by exploring the influence of socio-cultural and individual factors on women entrepreneurs in Asia. Her research has been published in the British Journal of Educational Technology and International Journal on E-Learning and Australasian Journal of Educational Technology.Read more on Siewmee's profile
- Women entrepreneur and social entrepreneurship
- Barriers of refugee women face in building capacity and exercising in their agency
- Career, migration and the transformation and adaptation for refugees and migrants in Australia
- Member, Association for Information Systems (AIS).
- Member, Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Member, Project Management Institute (PMI group).
- Member, Australian Computer Society
- Member, Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE).
- Member, Asia Pacific Society for Computers Education (APSCE).
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Inter-cultural Communication
- Applied Management Capabilities
- MMH299 - Business Communication
- MMM111 - Intrapersonal Skills
- MME101 - Business Academic Skills
- Communities of practice and academic guanxi (networking).
- Research into the social business in South East Asia and especially in the exploration of women’s entrepreneurship behaviour.
- Longitudinal research on Ethnicity, Gender and Entrepreneurial Tendencies: The Indonesian Perspective.
- E-learning and teaching - Web-mediated instructional systems design, web accessibility, web-based collaborative learning technologies, human-computer interactions, international best practice in corporate e-Training, information systems education, virtual worlds and games development.
- Strategic information systems - Strategic information system planning, computer-human-interface design, information technology adoption, software development practices, systems analysis and design.
- E-business - e-Business relationship management, models, e-procurement, e-markets, B2B issues, e-services, global governance, electronic democracy, electronic publishing.
L Nguyen, S Barton, L Nguyen
(2015), Vol. 46, pp. 190-203, British journal of educational technology, Chichester, Eng., C1
(2013), pp. 74-92, ePedagogy in on-line learning : new developments in web mediated human computer interaction, Hershey, Pa., B1
(2013), Vol. 12, pp. 115-137, International journal on e-learning, Norfolk, Va., C1
A O'Loughlin, S Barton, L Ngo
(2013), pp. 293-306, Handbook of mobile learning, New York, N.Y., B1
(2011), Vol. 7, pp. 1-17, Asia-Pacific collaborative education journal, [Busan, Korea], C1
S Barton, J Sargent, D Novotny
(2010), pp. 1382-1393, Global Learn 2010 : Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010 : Global Conference on Learning and Technology, Penang, Malaysia, E1
M Iqbal, G Barton, S Barton
(2010), pp. 3754-3760, Global Learn 2010 : Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010 : Global Conference on Learning and Technology, Penang, Malaysia, E1
S Barton, G Barton
(2010), pp. 3740-3747, Global Learn 2010 : Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010 : Global Conference on Learning and Technology, Penang, Malaysia, E1
K Campbell, R Schwier, O Lee, Z Abas, W Zhai, S Barton, R Jamaludin, A Kaur, Z Ozdilek, M Liu
(2010), pp. 3788-3791, Global Learn 2010 : Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010 : Global Conference on Learning and Technology, Penang, Malaysia, E1
G Barton, S Barton, M Iqbal
(2010), pp. 3766-3776, Global Learn 2010 : Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010 : Global Conference on Learning and Technology, Penang, Malaysia, E1
S Barton, B Corbitt, L Nguyen
(2009), Vol. 8, pp. 561-575, International journal of e-learning, Norfolk, Va., C1
S Barton, J Sargent
(2009), pp. 323-330, ED-MEDIA 2009 : Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, E1
(2008), pp. 3369-3384, E-Learn 2008 : Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare and Higher Education 2008, Chesapeake, Va., E1
(2008), pp. 3385-3394, E-Learn 2008 : Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare and Higher Education 2008, Chesapeake, Va., E1
S Barton, B Corbitt, L Nguyen, K Peszynski
(2007), pp. 1079-1088, ACIS2007 Toowoomba 5 to 7 December 2007: proceedings of the 18th Australasian conference on information systems, Toowoomba, QLD, E1
A Farley, D Holt, S Barton
(2007), pp. 259-261, Ascilite 2007, Singapore ICT- providing choices for learners and learning, 2-5 December 2007, Singapore, E1
A Farley, S Barton
(2006), pp. 1824-1829, Ed-Media 2006 : World conference on educational multimedia, hypermedia & telecommunications: proceedings of Ed-Media 2006, Orlando Florida, USA, E1-1
S Barton, B Corbitt, L Nguyen, K Peszynski
(2006), Proceedings of the 17th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Adelaide, S. Aust., E1
D Holt, S Barton, G Barton
(2004), pp. 1-10, Beyond the comfort zone : proceedings of the 21st ASCILITE Conference, Perth, 5-8 December, Perth, Western Australia, E1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Other Public Sector Funding
Women's agency and the building of social capital, cohesion and resilience in the new Afghan community in Geelong
Dr Siewmee Barton, Prof Ihsan Yilmaz, Dr Faridullah Bezhan
- 2018: $11,150
- 2017: $22,300
Preparing tertiary students from CALD migrant communities for careers in regional areas. Development and evaluation of an online course and associated materials.
Prof Alexander Newman, A/Prof Fara Azmat, Dr Joe Jiang, Dr Huong Le, Dr Siewmee Barton, Dr Ahmed Ferdous
- 2019: $48,448
Maria Jacinta Arquisola
Thesis entitled: Roles of Higher Education Academic Leaders in Indonesia
Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Management