Vicki Huang is an Associate Professor of IP Law at Deakin Law School. In 2022, she received Deakin University's Teacher of the Year Award (2022), and the School of Law's Teaching Award for Excellence (2022). She currently teaches or has designed courses in intellectual property, cyber law, property law, and fashion law, the latter as a guest lecturer at NUS in 2022.
Dr Huang's research focusses on inter-disciplinary aspects of intellectual property law (particularly race and gender), and empirical research methods into law. Her work has been published in Australia, Europe and the United States and her research findings have received national press coverage. She is a co-author of Australia's leading IP text - S Ricketson, M Richardson, M Davison and V Huang, Intellectual Property: Cases, Material and Commentary, 6th ed (LexisNexis, 2019).
Dr Huang has served as a student mentor and a refugee mentor. In 2021-22, she led the Faculty task force on inclusive workplace culture. She currently serves on the Faculty academic integrity committee.
Dr Huang graduated from the Melbourne Law School with a PhD and first class honours in the LL.B. She also completed a L.L.M. at Columbia University Law School on a Burton Memorial Fellowship where she graduated with honours. Prior to her appointment at Deakin, Vicki was a sessional lecturer at the Melbourne Law School. She previously worked for the Federal Court of Australia as a Research Associate to the Hon. Justice Finkelstein. She also worked for a number of years at law firms in Melbourne (Ashursts) and the USA (Morrison Foerster) with a focus on litigation and intellectual property law. She has been admitted to practice in Victoria as an Australian lawyer and admitted to the State Bar of California as an American attorney.Read more on Vicki's profile
Vicki Huang is an Associate Professor of IP Law at Deakin Law School. In 2022, she received Deakin University's Teacher of the Year Award (2022), and the School of Law's Teaching Award for Excellence (2022).
Dr Huang's research focusses on inter-disciplinary aspects of intellectual property law (particularly race and gender), and empirical research methods into law.
- Teacher of the Year Award, Deakin University $10,000 (2022-2023).
- ‘Gender and Patents — Outcomes for Australia’s Female Scientists’ (2022) Faculty of Business and Law Grant, $10,000.
- ‘Forecasting the Intersection between Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Australian Intellectual Property (IP) Law’ (2021) Faculty of Business and Law Grant, $10,000.
- ‘Gender and Australian Patent Application Outcomes’ (2020) Deakin Science & Society Interdisciplinary Project Incubator Award, $9,500.
- ‘Using Open Data for Interdisciplinary Research — Workshop’ (2020) Deakin Science & Society Establishment Grant Scheme Award, $2,808.
- MLL444 Special Topics in Cyber Law
- MLL410 Intellectual Property Law
- MLJ719 Intellectual Property Law and Policy
- MLJ711 Property Law and Policy
- MLL327 Property Law
- MLM704 Foundations of Law
- Vicki Huang, ‘Patents and Gender’, Fifth IP & Innovation Researchers of Asia Conference, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1 - 3 March 2023 (hybrid, online).
- Vicki Huang, ‘Shape Trade Marks and Footwear in Australia’, Fashion Law Roundtable, National University Singapore, 6 Jan 2023.
- Vicki Huang, Sue Finch, Cameron Patrick, ‘Patents and Gender’, 113th Annual Conference of the Society of Legal Scholars, Kings College, London, UK, September 6-9, 2022 (hybrid, online).
- Vicki Huang, Sue Finch, Cameron Patrick, ‘Patents and Gender: A Big Data Analysis of 15 Years of Australian Patent Applications’, Australasian Intellectual Property Academics Conference (AIPAC), University Technology Sydney, 16 & 18 February 2022.
- Vicki Huang, ‘Trademarks, Race and Slur Appropriation: An Inter-Disciplinary and Empirical Study’, Australasian Intellectual Property Academics Conference (AIPAC), University Technology Sydney, 16 & 18 February 2022.
- Vicki Huang, David Tan (National University of Singapore) and Guobin Cui (TsingHua University), ‘Of Supermodels, Pop Princesses and Copyright Trolls: Issues of Fair Use and Personality Rights’, Presentation, Asian Pacific Copyright Association (APCA), University of Technology Sydney, 22 February 2022.
- Marilyn McMahon and Vicki Huang, ‘Image-Based Abuse and Young People’ (Presentation), Victorian Law Foundation/Law Week 2021, 17 May 2021.
- Vicki Huang, 'Fashion Rights Enforcement' — Media Law + IP Conference, Melbourne Law School, 5-6 December 2019.
- Vicki Huang, ‘The Mis(Use) of Trademark Law to (Mis)Appropriate Racist Trademarks’, 2nd Biennial Conference on Race + IP, NYU Law School, USA — 5-6 April 2019.
- Vicki Huang, ‘An Interdisciplinary Analysis of the Slants Case’, ATRIP (Association of Teachers and Researchers of Intellectual Property), 37th Annual Congress, Helsinki Finland — 5-8 August 2018.
- Vicki Huang, Prof Rochelle Dreyfuss (NYU), Prof Dan Rosen (Chuo) and Prof Susie Frankel (Victoria), ‘Trade Marks and Free Speech: Perspectives on The Slants case’ — 9 October 2017, IPRIA Public Seminar, University of Melbourne.
- Deakin University Teacher of the Year 2022
- Deakin Law School Award for Teaching Excellence 2022
- Honourable Mention, Australian Legal Research Awards (ECR) CALD 2020
- Finalist - "Academic of the Year", Women in Law Awards, 2019
- Finalist - "Academic of the Year", Lawyers Weekly, 2019
- Australian Postgraduate Award, PhD Scholarship, 2011
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar Award, Columbia University, 2008
- Burton Memorial Fellowship, Columbia University Scholarship, 2007
- Corrs Chambers Westgarth prize for Trade Mark Law and Unfair Competition, Melbourne Law School
(2023), pp. 367-385, Research Handbook on Empirical Studies in Intellectual Property Law, B1
Vicki Huang, Jason Taliadoros
(2023), Australian Law Journal, Sydney, N.S.W., C1
Vicki Huang, Vicki Huang, Vicki Huang, Sue Finch, Sue Finch, Sue Finch, Cameron Patrick, Cameron Patrick, Cameron Patrick
(2022), Vol. 45, pp. 927-962, University of New South Wales Law Journal, Sydney, N.S.W., C1
(2021), pp. 1605-1648, UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS LAW REVIEW, C1
(2021), Vol. 52, pp. 242-264, IIC International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, C1
(2020), Vol. 42, pp. 576-583, European Intellectual Property Review, Andover, Eng., C1
(2019), Vol. 41, pp. 105-130, SYDNEY LAW REVIEW, C1
(2019), Vol. 35, pp. 1-36, Santa Clara computer and high technology law journal, Santa Clara, Calif., C1
(2018), Vol. 28, pp. 51-63, Australian intellectual property journal, New York, N.Y., C1
(2018), Vol. 40, pp. 429-434, European intellectual property review, London, Eng., C1
(2018), ATRIP 2018 : Proceedings of the 37th Annual Congress of the Association of Teachers and Researchers of Intellectual Property on Fairness, Morality and Ordre Public in Intellectual Property, Helsinki, Finland, E1-1
(2017), Vol. 42, pp. 580-595, Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, C1
V Huang, K Weatherall, E Webster
(2012), pp. 181-202, The law of reputation and brands in the Asia Pacific, Cambridge, England, B1
J Pooley, V Huang
(2011), Vol. 22, pp. 45-68, Fordham intellectual property, media and entertainment law journal, New York, N. Y., C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
No Funded Projects at Deakin found
No completed student supervisions to report