Xiao Liu received his PhD degree in Computer Science and Software Engineering from the Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia in 2011. He received his Master and Bachelor degrees from the School of Management, Hefei University of Technology, Hefei, China, in 2007 and 2004 respectively, all in Information Management and Information System. He is currently an Associate Professor at School of Information Technology, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia. Before that, he was teaching at Software Engineering Institute, East China Normal University, Shanghai, China. His research areas include Software Engineering, Distributed Computing and Service Computing, with special interests in workflow systems, cloud and edge computing, big data analytics, and human-centric software engineering. He is a Senior Member of IEEE and ACM.Read more on Xiao's profile
- Jan. 2021 to Date: Associate Professor
- Jan. 2018 to Date: Associate Head Of School (International), School of Information Technology, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
- Oct. 2015 to 2020: Senior Lecturer and Coordinator of China Partnerships, School of Information Technology, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
- July 2014 to Sept. 2015: Assistant to the Dean, Software Engineering Institute, East China Normal University, China
- Jan. 2013 to Sept. 2015: Associate Professor, Software Engineering Institute, East China Normal University, China
- Dec. 2010 to Dec. 2012: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Feb. 2008 to Feb. 2012, Sessional Lecturer/Tutor, Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Cloud Computing (Quality of Service, Task Scheduling, Energy Saving)
- Software Engineering (Temporal Verification, Software Process)
- Scientific and Business Workflow Management
- Social Networks
- Service Recommendation
- Cloud Computing
- Software Engineering
- SIT102 Introduction to Programming
- SIT172 Programming for Engineers
- SIT221 Data Structures and Algorithms
- SIT222 Operating System Concepts
- SIT321 Software Engineering
- SIT105 Thinking Technology and Design
- Introduction to Cloud Computing and Big Data
- Distributed Computing: Cloud Computing with Window Azure Platform
- Web Programming
- Software Engineering Project
- Software Engineering
- Service Computing
- Cloud, Fog, Mobile Edge Computing
- Business and Scientific Workflow Systems
- Big Data in Social Network and Healthcare Systems
- Senior Member of IEEE
- Senior Member of ACM
- Member of CCF, CCF Task Committee on Software Engineering
- Member of Australian Information Security Association (AISA)
- Editorial Board Member, Elsevier Journal of Systems and Software, https://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-systems-and-software
- Young Associate Editor, Springer Frontiers of Computer Science, http://www.springer.com/computer/journal/11704
- Associate Editor, IEEE Access, https://ieeeaccess.ieee.org/
- Area Editor, Elsevier Array, https://www.journals.elsevier.com/array
- Leading Guest Editor for Speical issues such as FGCS, CCPE, Sensors
Recent Conference Organisation (PC Chair/Session Chair/PC Member):
ICWS2021 (Track Chair), ASE2021 (Proceedings Chair, PC for NIER and LBR Track), CCGrid2021, ASE2020 (LBR Track), PerCom2020 (WIP Track), ICWS2020, SCC2020, CCGrid2020, ASE2020 (Publicity Chair), ICA3PP2019, ICWS2019, ICSOC2018 Worksho Co-Chair, ICWS2018, CCBPM2018 (PC Co-Chair), APSEC2017 (Publicatioin Chair), ICWS2017, Edge2017, ACSW2017 (Publication Chair), AusPDC2017 (Program Co-Chair).
Software Engineering Innovation Lab (SEIL)
Security and PrivacY Research in IoT Lab (SPYRIT)
- ASE2020 Distinguished LBR Paper Award
- Best Reviewers for 2019, Journal of Systems and Software
- Best Student Paper Award, 19th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing (ICA3PP2019), 2019.
- Best Reviewers for 2018, Journal of Systems and Software
- School of IT staff award for excellence in advancing international partnerships, Deakin University, 2017.
- Nomination Award for Outstanding Young Scientists, ACM and CCF (Shanghai Chapter), 2014.
- Finalist, ACAA - Young Australia China Alumni of the Year Award, 2014.
- Best Student Paper, 2014 International Conference on Cloud Computing and Big Data, 2014.
- Second Prize, National Contest for Cloud Computing Application, Ministry of Education, China, 2015.
- Microsoft Pioneer Award for Teaching Cloud Computing, 2014.
- 2009 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad, 2010.
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS), Australia Government, 2007-2010.
- Swinburne University Postgraduate Research Awards (SUPRA), Swinburne University of Technology, 2007-2010.
- Best PhD Thesis Award, Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies, Swinburne University of Technology, 2011.
- X. Liu and G. Li, "Building a Secure Cloud-based Collaborative CRM System", AU$50K (Industry)+AU$15K (School), 2018-2019.
- X. Liu, F. Chen, G. Li, F. Jiang, “From the cloud to the fog: cost-effective big data placement for mobile social networks”, School of IT Research Funding (AU25K$), Deakin University, 2018.
- X. Liu and D. Yuan, Smart Data Placement for Enabling Collaboration Among Fog Computing Nodes, Faculty Research Grants Scheme, Deakin University, 2018.
- Xiao Liu and Yang Xiang, Investigating How to Build Secure and Energy-Efficient Mobile Cloud Apps, AU$50K (Industry) + AU$10K (School Match-up), 2017-2018.
- Xiao Liu, Scheduling Strategy for Data Intensive Workflows in Hybrid Clouds, National Science Foundation of China, RMB 270K, 2014-2016.
- Xiao Liu, Data Management for Data Intensive Cloud Workflows, Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, RBM100K, Ministry of Education, China, 2013-2014.
- Xiao Liu, Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, RMB35K, Ministry of Education, China, 2013-2014.
- Xiao Liu and Yuanchun Jiang, APP Recommendation based on Social Network, RMB100K, CCF-Tencent Open Fund, 2014-2015.
No publications found
Funded Projects at Deakin
Industry and Other Funding
Investigating How to Build Secure and Energy-Efficient Mobile Cloud Apps
A/Prof Xiao Liu
- 2018: $25,000
- 2017: $25,000
Building a Secure Cloud-based Collaborative CRM System.
A/Prof Xiao Liu, A/Prof Gang Li
- 2019: $25,000
- 2018: $25,000
No completed student supervisions to report