Credit for Prior Learning
Your previous study or work experience may make you eligible for Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) towards your Deakin degree. This allows you to complete your course earlier and often more affordably by reducing the number of units you need to study.
CPL, also known as advanced standing or credit transfer, includes formal learning (accredited qualifications) and non-formal and informal learning (non-accredited learning or work experience).
Can I receive credit for my qualification or previous experience?
Deakin considers all university, TAFE and private tertiary education provider qualifications from Australia and around the world for CPL. We also consider any other previous study, work experience and relevant life experience.
Please note that even if you are eligible for CPL, you'll still need to meet the entry requirements for the course you're applying for.
Credit may not be available for courses which require accreditation.
Types of credit
- Specified credit for a specific Deakin unit (when previous studies are comparable to that of the Deakin unit).
- Unspecified credit for an elective unit within a Deakin course (when no comparable Deakin unit exists and where course rules state that unspecified credit can be granted).
How is CPL assessed?
Your application will be assessed if your qualifications were completed within the last 10 years. For older qualifications, only submit an application if you can demonstrate your continual involvement in the subject area.
Other factors to keep in mind
- At least a third of your course needs to be completed at Deakin, or at least half for certificate courses.
- Deakin will provide credit for overseas qualifications when they're benchmarked against relevant Australian qualifications.
- International students must fulfill the requirements of their student visa, even if CPL is granted. Speak with an international student adviser to discuss how CPL may affect your visa.
- Centrelink benefits may be affected if your study load becomes part time. Speak to a faculty course adviser about maintaining a full-time load.
- Check with your relevant professional association to see if receiving CPL may affect your recognition.
Filling out the CPL form is only necessary for domestic students.
International students can request a CPL assessment by indicating this on the international on-campus application for undergraduate and postgraduate study form.
How do I apply for credit for prior learning?
Fill in the Deakin CPL form below.
Submit your CPL application form at the same time as your course application.
You'll also need to provide:
- a certified copy of your academic transcript, with a key to results
- details of course structure and credit point weightings from your previous institution’s handbook or website
- a unit outline or syllabus including assessment requirements, credit point weighting of units and details of textbooks and references
- for informal learning CPL, a written case that shows a high enough level of skill and knowledge for a 'Pass' grade in the relevant units of your course, or continued involvement in the subject area.
If you're offered admission into a course at Deakin, your credit entitlement will be confirmed with your offer or as soon as possible afterwards.