Complex global markets and reporting requirements mean that never before has accounting been a more dynamic and exciting profession. Businesses and individuals rely on accountants to assess their financial situation and give advice on financial dealings.
Accountants are finance and information specialists who inform business decision-making within a wide range of organisations. Through courses that are developed and reviewed with industry, practical experience and networking opportunities, you'll graduate with a well-recognised qualification, ready to bring your expertise to a rewarding career in business.
Undergraduate (your first degree)
An undergraduate degree is generally completed between two to four years, depending on the pattern of study and any recognition of prior learning you may have. Associate degrees, bachelor and bachelor with honours are all undergraduate degrees.
Postgraduate (further study)
A postgraduate qualification can be undertaken by students who have already completed an undergraduate degree or possess significant, demonstrable work experience. Postgraduate courses include graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, master’s and PhDs, as well as specialist programs for industry professionals.
Higher Degrees by Research (supervised research)
Research degrees are research based master’s or PhD programs that focus on a single area of expertise. They provide students the opportunity to carry out highly specialised research under expert supervision.
Non-award courses are generally single units of study that don’t add up to a university qualification. They’re a great way to explore an area of study before committing to a full degree, and can often be used as credit towards a degree course. Short courses and stand-alone study abroad programs also fall under this category.
The role of accountant has undergone a shift towards wide-ranging specialised advisory roles across business including:
- adviser in mergers and acquisitions
- financial planner
- investment adviser
- market analyst
- treasury banker
- tax consultant.
We'll prepare you to become a professionally qualified accountant before you graduate. Graduates can apply for membership to these key professional bodies (depending on units taken):
- CA Program of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Associate Membership for the CPA Program CPA Australia
- IPA Program of the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) (exemptions may apply)
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- Australian Computer Society.
CPA has a well-defined program for volunteers like me. I worked with business development relationship managers promoting CPA at various universities. It was a great way to learn about the industry and the profession of accounting.
Master of International Finance/Master of Professional Accounting
Deakin has been awarded the following prestigious accreditations:
- Deakin Business School (DBS) is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Only five per cent of business programs worldwide are AACSB accredited and DBS is one of only three business schools in Victoria to achieve this recognition.
- DBS has been awarded EQUIS accreditation through the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). This global best-practice recognition places Deakin Business School in the top 1 per cent of business schools worldwide.
Deakin Business School Alumni Chapter
The Deakin Business School Alumni Chapter is an active chapter that offers meaningful ways for our business graduates to stay connected and involved with Deakin. Core activities include networking, social and professional development events.
Research with us
Develop independent research skills that will enable you to pursue your own theories and ideas at a high conceptual level. Undertake research in accounting and you can cover topics from corporate social responsibility and ethics, through to financial planning and assessment.
Browse other disciplines within business
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.