Deakin is building for the future and the next generation of science, research and technology with the development of the new RISE Precinct. This will involve construction of a new multi-level building (Building HA), along with refurbishment of buildings L, T, HI, HJ and HK to create over 20,000m2 of space that will:
- enhance the University’s cross-disciplinary research, provide new opportunities for industry collaboration, commercial research partnerships and an international research hub
- provide world-class, highly flexible and fit-for-purpose learning spaces for multi-discipline teaching
- foster a culture of collaboration and connection between School of Life and Environmental Sciences, School of Information Technology and Institute for Frontier Materials (IFM).
The new building is expected to be operational in 2024, with the full precinct realised in 2025. The RISE Precinct will provide the necessary contemporary, collaborative, flexible-teaching and workspace facilities for Deakin's next generation of our science, research and technology innovators.
Project Director - RISE Precinct
Infrastructure and Property Group
03 5227 3787
The new facilities will provide significant opportunities for growth in study, research, collaboration and industry engagement, such as:
- increase and enhance cross-disciplinary research through specialised spaces and equipment
- create new opportunities for industry collaboration with visible research culture and fit-for-purpose engagement spaces
- increase undergraduate and postgraduate course offerings through improved fit-for-purpose teaching facilities
- strengthen student pathways to HDR.
The design process
The RISE Precinct project has been underway since 2018, with the following already undertaken:
- Successful business case to secure funding
- Conducted extensive high-level stakeholder engagement to inform the vision, scope and design brief
- International study tour with key members of the project team to world-leading universities, such as University of Oxford and London Metropolitan University in the UK, and University of Copenhagen in Demark. Insights from the tour are informing the development of the RISE Precinct design.
- Appointment of the key consultants on the project
- Conducted a series of design concept workshops
- New Research Facility HH1 was built in Car Park 6. The building has been operational since February 2020.
- Successful change request - approved by Deakin Council in November 2019 to accommodate an additional level to the new building and improve the workspace to Building T.
We are currently in the design phase - this phase guides the planning, concept and design of the project. This process is being led by IPG and Denton Corker Marshall architects in collaboration with key Deakin stakeholders. Extensive stakeholder engagement will be ongoing and will deepen as the project design process continues to ensure the facility meets the needs of the Deakin student and staff community.
The RISE Precinct will provide:
- a new eight level (plus roof) multi-disciplinary research and teaching building (Building HA)
- new research laboratories and specialised teaching laboratories
- new rooftop glasshouse, informal learning spaces, industry engagement space and workspaces
- shell space for future expansion/recruitment opportunities
- refurbishment of existing Buildings L, T, HI, HJ and HK
- Specialist equipment.
Location, location, location
The RISE Precinct will have a prominent position in the central area of campus, near existing IFM facilities and buildings L and T. This is in close proximity to the library in Building V, cafes, public transport and student services in Central Precinct.