Emma Rowe is a Senior Lecturer in Education at Deakin University and 2020 Fulbright Scholar. Emma is a recipient of the Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Grant (DECRA) 2021-2024. Emma's work examines educational reform and education policy, with an interest in school choice, privatization and marketization. Emma's work has held a long-term interest in the reform of public schooling across OECD countries.
Emma is the recipient of the Outstanding Dissertation Award from the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Qualitative Research SIG (2015) and Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship (2020). Her work is regularly featured in leading media including ABC Television, radio, The Age and Sydney Morning Herald.
She publishes in world-leading journals including Journal of Education Policy, the Australian Educational Researcher and Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education. She currently serves as an Associate Editor for Critical Studies in Education (Q1 Journal).
Emma teaches into undergraduate and postgraduate education courses at Deakin. She previously held the Global Education Program (GEP) Coordinator role. Prior to joining Deakin University, she taught at Monash University, and worked as an editor, freelance writer and secondary school English teacher. She has previously held leadership positions in secondary schools.Read more on Emma's profile
- Bachelor of Arts (Creative writing/Literature)- Murdoch University, Australia.
- Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary)- Murdoch University, Australia.
- Masters in Education- Monash University, Australia.
- PhD in Education (APA Scholarship)- Monash University, Australia.
- Graduate Certificate of Higher Education Teaching and Learning- Deakin University, Australia.
* Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Grant (DECRA) 2021-2024.
* Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholar 2020.
* The Australian Educational Researcher Best Paper Award 2020 (Springer Publications).
* 'Outstanding Dissertation Award': American Education Research Association Qualitative Research SIG (2015).
* Excellence in Research Award, Early Career Researcher: Deakin University School of Education 2017.
* Invited respondent: "What is changing in the classroom internationally?: Measuring Innovation for Improvement" with Stephan Vincent-Lancrin (OECD), Felice Levine (AERA), Ingrid Gogolin (Hamburg), Anne Goodwin (Columbia). University of Tokyo, 8th August 2019.
* Invited Keynote Speaker: 7th VCE Transnational Conference, Xi'an China 2018.
* Invited Speaker: Sichuan Normal University, Chengdu, China 2018.
* Invited Speaker: Deakin REDI School of Research Day 2018.
* Invited Symposium, World Education Research Association, Tokyo 2019. Paper co-authored with Christopher Lubienski, Sue Winton and Samantha Hedges. An invited symposium is competitively selected as a flagship WERA event.
* Featured Symposium: Australian Association for Research in Education Conference, Sydney 2018 (with Profs Marie Brennan, Lew Zipin, Jane Kenway). A featured symposium is competitively selected to showcase current and outstanding research.
* Featured Symposium: Australian Association for Research in Education Conference, Sydney 2018 (with Prof Lingard, Perry, Winton, Savage, Yoon). A featured symposium is competitively selected to showcase current and outstanding research.
* Featured Symposium: British Education Research Association meeting, Manchester, United Kingdom 2019. Sponsored by The Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE)- selected to represent AARE. A featured symposium is competitively selected to showcase current and outstanding research.
* Autonomous schools.
* School choice.
* Education policy and school reform across OECD countries.
* School segregation.
* Reforming the public school.
- Pedagogy - theory and practice.
- Policy - teacher reform, privatization, marketization.
- Sociology - race, gender, class.
- Intercultural capacities of global teachers.
EPP207: Pedagogy (Unit Chair)
EPP406: Professional Identity and Curriculum Work (Unit Chair)
EXR781: Education Research Methodology (2015/2016) (Unit Chair)
EDX701: Research Design Development and Method
EDX707: Independent Research Project for Professional Practice (Supervisor)
EEG302: Place Culture and Teaching in a Global Context (2017, T3)
EPP102: Learning Teaching Communities (T2, 2017)
- Autonomous schools
- School choice
- Education policy and reform
- Education funding
- Global reform
- Qualitative methodology
- Intercultural education
See publications within the field of education:
Research Group Coordinator: Australian Association of Research in Education: Coordinator for Special Interest Research Group (Sociology in Education)
Associate Editor: Critical Studies in Education (peer-reviewed journal)
Committees at Deakin University:
* Global Education Program Steering Committee (Chair)
* Faculty of Arts and Education Teaching and Learning Committee
* School of Education Teaching and Learning Committee
* Professional Partnerships Committee
* Faculty of Arts and Education Human Ethics Advisory Group (HEAG)
* International Partnerships Committee
* Faculty of Arts and Education Academic Progress Committee (intermittent).
External memberships: Victorian Insitute of Teaching (VIT): Full Registration, Current
Emma's research has been cited frequently, across a broad range of media including local and national newspapers, television, radio and podcasts. The following is a short list of selected citations: Podcast Interview with the American Educational Research Association, Qualitative Research SIG (1/03/2018). See: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/aeraqrsig/episodes/2018-02-28T13_06_55-08_00 Television Interview with ABC (live): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1T_cpRx_cU&feature=youtu.be Meet the Educational Researcher podcast: https://soundcloud.com/eetheducationesearcher/public-schools-private-schools-and-the-market-emma-rowe Requested for comment, or research taken up in newspapers with national circulation: The ABC Special Investigation: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-13/rich-school-poor-school-australias-great-education-divide/11383384# Research used as a feature story in Sydney Morning Herald, and featured on The Project Television, ABC Radio Sydney, ABC Radio Adelaide (and many others): https://www.smh.com.au/education/shopping-for-good-public-schools-in-nsw-reinforcing-equity-gap-research-20170626-gwyqtb.html
Research used as an 'Exclusive' in The Age newspaper: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/the-real-cost-of-attending-a-melbourne-state-school-20180428-p4zc83.html Requested for comment, e.g. The ABC News: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-03/why-some-australian-private-schools-are-overfunded/7898442; The Age Newspaper: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/it-hurts-us-immensely-victorian-education-department-predicts-funding-shortfalls-for-students-20161007-grxnjw.html The Saturday Paper: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2016/10/08/australia-scoring-low-marks-education/14758452003825 The Age Newspaper: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/the-great-trek-to-prep-the-city-kids-travelling-up-to-30km-for-school-20180129-p4yz0i.html Sydney Morning Herald: https://www.smh.com.au/education/anxious-parents-play-the-waiting-game-20100730-10z6e.html Radio interviews: http://thewire.org.au/story/cost-of-class-private-school-wait-list-fees/, The Daily Show 2SER 25/05/18 https://2ser.com/episodes/the-daily-900am-25th-apr-2018/
REDI Education Governance and Policy: http://www.deakin.edu.au/redi/our-team-and-publications
2017: Deakin University School of Education Excellence in Research Award
2015: “Outstanding Dissertation Award”, American Educational Research Association (Qualitative Research SIG).
2014: Publication Award, Monash University Education Faculty.
2014: Postgraduate Publication Award, Monash University Graduate Institute.
2011-2014: Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), Monash University.
2013: Postgraduate Student Grant, The Australian Association of Research in Education (AARE), Annual Meeting.
2013: Postgraduate Student Award, The Australian Sociological Association (TASA).
2011 Three Minute Thesis Award Winner, Monash University.
2007 Emerging Writers’ Grant, Deakin University.
"A study of autonomous schools in New South Wales" - a project funded by REDI, Deakin University (2019, current).
"Tracing policy-narratives around large-scale school reform in autonomous school settings"- a project funded by REDI, Deakin University (2017-2018).
Graduate Teacher Conferences: funded by the Department of Education and Training, Victoria (2018).
National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education, "Success and Failure in Higher Education on uneven playing fields" - funded project by NCSEHE (2018).
See list of publications up-to-date:
(2021), pp. 184-197, Privatisation and Commercialisation in Public Education: How the Public Nature of Schooling is Changing, London, Eng., B1
E Rowe, Laura Perry
(2020), Vol. 47, pp. 19-37, Australian educational researcher, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, C1
Emma Rowe, Laura Perry
(2020), Vol. 52, pp. 42-59, Journal of educational administration and history, London, ENg., C1
S Hedges, S Winton, E Rowe, C Lubienski
(2020), Vol. 52, pp. 103-119, Journal of Educational Administration and History, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2020), Vol. 5, pp. 54-73, Whiteness and education, London, Eng., C1
(2020), Vol. 47, pp. 517-535, Australian Educational Researcher, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, C1
(2019), pp. 186-206, Young people and the politics of hope and outrage, Leiden, The Netherlands, B1
E Rowe, Jessica Gerrard
(2019), pp. 28-41, Re-imagining education for democracy, Abingdon, Eng., B1
E Rowe, A Skourdoumbis
(2019), Vol. 34, pp. 44-60, Journal of education policy, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2019), Vol. 40, pp. 271-279, Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education, Abingdon, Eng., C1
E Rowe, Christopher Lubienski, Andrew Skourdoumbis, Jessica Gerrard, David Hursh
(2019), Vol. 40, pp. 150-161, Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education, Abingdon, Eng., C1
E Rowe, Christopher Lubienski, Andrew Skourdoumbis, Jessica Gerrard, David Hursh
(2019), Vol. 40, pp. 147-149, Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education, Abingdon, Eng., C1
Bernadette Walker-Gibbs, Rola Ajjawi, Emma Rowe, Andrew Skourdoumbis, Matthew Thomas, Sarah O'Shea, Sue Bennett, Brandi Fox, Peter Alsen
(2019), [Bentley, W.A.], A6
(2018), pp. 99-112, Bourdieu’s field theory and the social sciences, Singapore, B1
E Rowe, C Lubienski, D Hursh, A Skourdoumbis, J Gerrard
(2018), Vol. 39, pp. 675-677, Discourse-studies in the cultural politics of education, London, Eng., C1
(2017), Abingdon, Eng., A1
(2017), Vol. 20, pp. 945-958, Second international handbook of urban education, Berlin, Germany, B1
(2017), Vol. 26, pp. 36-50, International studies in sociology of education, Abingdon, Eng., C1
E Rowe, C Lubienski
(2017), Vol. 32, pp. 340-356, Journal of Education Policy, C1
(2015), Vol. 56, pp. 285-300, Critical studies in education, London, Eng., C1-1
(2014), Vol. 35, pp. 116-128, Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education, London, Eng., C1-1
E Rowe, J Windle
(2012), Vol. 53, pp. 137-151, Critical studies in education, London, Eng., C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Australian Competitive Grants
Innovation in autonomous public schools: a study of innovation in education and third-sector involvement
Dr Emma Rowe
ARC DECRA - Discovery Early Career Researcher Award
- 2021: $27,749
Other Public Sector Funding
Success and Failure in Higher Education on uneven playing fields.
A/Prof Bernadette Walker-Gibbs, A/Prof Rola Ajjawi, Dr Emma Rowe, A/Prof Andrew Skourdoumbis, Dr Matthew Thomas, A/Prof Sarah O'Shea, Prof Sue Bennett
- 2018: $23,281
- 2017: $7,906
No completed student supervisions to report