Emma Rowe is Senior Lecturer in the School of Education, and the Global Education Program Coordinator. Emma teaches and publishes in a broad range of educational fields, including intercultural education, policy and pedagogy. She is an experienced teacher, with experience in the secondary school, vocational and university sector.
Emma teaches into undergraduate and postgraduate education courses, in addition to leading a portfolio of international and domestic intercultural programs in the School of Education. She works closely with relevant internal and external stakeholders within the university and internationally, to design, coordinate and lead learning and intercultural experiences for pre-service teachers. Emma specializes in leadership within this field, in addition to research and teaching in pedagogy and praxis, intercultural understanding and global citizenship.
Emma's research is further interested in education policy, marketization and privatization of schooling across OECD countries. Her research is published in world-leading peer-reviewed academic journals, including Critical Studies in Education, Journal of Education Policy, Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education. Emma previously authored the UNESCO Global Education Monitoring Report (Australian Case Study 2017/18) on invitation. She also comments regularly for the media and writes for The Conversation. Emma has published a full-length monograph with Routledge, which is currently available.
Emma serves as Associate Editor for the ERA-ranked and peer-reviewed journal Critical Studies in Education. She is the coordinator of the Australian Association of Research in Education Special Interest Group (Sociology in Education).
Prior to joining Deakin University, she taught at Monash University, and worked as an editor, freelance writer and secondary school English teacher. She has previously held leadership positions in secondary schools.Read more on Emma's profile
- Bachelor of Arts (Creative writing/Literature)- Murdoch University, Australia.
- Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary)- Murdoch University, Australia.
- Masters in Education- Monash University, Australia.
- PhD in Education (APA Scholarship)- Monash University, Australia.
- Graduate Certificate of Higher Education Teaching and Learning- Deakin University, Australia.
Invited keynote speaker: 7th VCE Transnational Conference, Xi'an China. The title of presentation: Intercultural understanding for Global Teachers.
- Pedagogy - theory and practice.
- Policy - teacher reform, privatization, marketization.
- Sociology - race, gender, class.
- Intercultural capacities of global teachers.
EPP207: Pedagogy (Unit Chair)
EPP406: Professional Identity and Curriculum Work (Unit Chair)
EXR781: Education Research Methodology (2015/2016) (Unit Chair)
EDX701: Research Design Development and Method
EDX707: Independent Research Project for Professional Practice (Supervisor)
EEG302: Place Culture and Teaching in a Global Context (2017, T3)
EPP102: Learning Teaching Communities (T2, 2017)
- Work integrated learning
- Intercultural learning
- School choice
- Education policy and reform
- Global reform
- Qualitative methodology
See publications within the field of education:
Research Group Coordinator: Australian Association of Research in Education: Coordinator for Special Interest Research Group (Sociology in Education)
Associate Editor: Critical Studies in Education (peer-reviewed journal)
Committees at Deakin University:
* Global Education Program Steering Committee (Chair)
* Faculty of Arts and Education Teaching and Learning Committee
* School of Education Teaching and Learning Committee
* Professional Partnerships Committee
* Faculty of Arts and Education Human Ethics Advisory Group (HEAG)
* International Partnerships Committee
* Faculty of Arts and Education Academic Progress Committee (intermittent).
External memberships: Victorian Insitute of Teaching (VIT): Full Registration, Current
- American Educational Research Association: Interviewed for the Qualitative Research SIG (1/03/2018). See https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/aeraqrsig/episodes/2018-02-28T13_06_55-08_00 (also available on Itunes).
- Requested for comment (2016): http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-03/why-some-australian-private-schools-are-overfunded/7898442
- Requested for comment (2016): https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/it-hurts-us-immensely-victorian-education-department-predicts-funding-shortfalls-for-students-20161007-grxnjw.html
- Research cited (2016): https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2016/10/08/australia-scoring-low-marks-education/14758452003825
- Requested for comment (2018): https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/the-great-trek-to-prep-the-city-kids-travelling-up-to-30km-for-school-20180129-p4yz0i.html
- Research cited and interviewed (2017): https://www.smh.com.au/education/shopping-for-good-public-schools-in-nsw-reinforcing-equity-gap-research-20170626-gwyqtb.html
- Research cited: The Project Channel Ten television July 3rd 2017, ABC Radio Sydney, ABC Radio Adelaide, 2sr Radio, ABC Radio The World.
- Research cited (2017): https://www.theeducatoronline.com/au/news/free-public-schooling-for-all-unfair/238584
- Interviewed: 3CR Radio 20 September 2017, 7.45am with Nick Wallis.
- Research cited (2010): https://www.smh.com.au/education/anxious-parents-play-the-waiting-game-20100730-10z6e.html
- Expert commentary (2017): https://www.smh.com.au/education/private-school-wait-list-fees-cost-families-hundreds-at-child-s-birth-20180423-p4zb8g.html
- Interviewed: 'The Daily Show' 2SER 11.15am 25/05/18 https://2ser.com/episodes/the-daily-900am-25th-apr-2018/
- Research - 'Exclusive' : https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/the-real-cost-of-attending-a-melbourne-state-school-20180428-p4zc83.html
- Radio Interview: http://thewire.org.au/story/cost-of-class-private-school-wait-list-fees/
REDI Education Governance and Policy: http://www.deakin.edu.au/redi/our-team-and-publications
2017: Deakin University School of Education Excellence in Research Award
2015: “Outstanding Dissertation Award”, American Educational Research Association (Qualitative Research SIG).
2014: Publication Award, Monash University Education Faculty.
2014: Postgraduate Publication Award, Monash University Graduate Institute.
2011-2014: Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), Monash University.
2013: Postgraduate Student Grant, The Australian Association of Research in Education (AARE), Annual Meeting.
2013: Postgraduate Student Award, The Australian Sociological Association (TASA).
2011 Three Minute Thesis Award Winner, Monash University.
2007 Emerging Writers’ Grant, Deakin University.
See current projects and publications:
- Area Graduate Teacher Conferences: funded project by Department of Education and Training (VIC).
- Success and Failure in Higher Education on uneven playing fields: funded project (National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education)
- Tracing policy narratives around large-scale reform: equity, disadvantage and accountability: funded project through REDI (Research for Educational Impact)
See list of publications up-to-date:
E Rowe, A Skourdoumbis
(2019), Vol. 34, pp. 44-60, Journal of education policy, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2019), pp. 186-206, Young people and the politics of hope and outrage, Leiden, The Netherlands, B1
(2019), pp. 1-9, Discourse-studies in the cultural politics of education, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2018), pp. 99-112, Bourdieu?s field theory and the social sciences, Singapore, B1
E Rowe, C Lubienski, D Hursh, A Skourdoumbis, J Gerrard
(2018), Vol. 39, pp. 675-677, Discourse-studies in the cultural politics of education, London, Eng., C1
(2017), Vol. 20, pp. 945-958, Second international handbook of urban education, Berlin, Germany, B1
(2017), Abingdon, Eng., A1
(2017), Vol. 26, pp. 36-50, International studies in sociology of education, Abingdon, Eng., C1
E Rowe, C Lubienski
(2017), Vol. 32, pp. 340-356, Journal of education policy, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2015), Vol. 56, pp. 285-300, Critical studies in education, London, Eng., C1-1
(2014), Vol. 35, pp. 116-128, Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education, London, Eng., C1-1
E Rowe, J Windle
(2012), Vol. 53, pp. 137-151, Critical studies in education, London, Eng., C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Other Public Sector Funding
Success and Failure in Higher Education on uneven playing fields.
A/Prof Bernadette Walker-Gibbs, A/Prof Rola Ajjawi, Dr Emma Rowe, Dr Andrew Skourdoumbis, Dr Matthew Thomas, A/Prof Sarah O'Shea, Prof Sue Bennett
- 2018: $23,281
- 2017: $7,906
Graduate Teacher Conferences: Design, Implementation and Evaluation.
A/Prof Bernadette Walker-Gibbs, Prof Christine Ure, A/Prof Andrea Gallant, Dr Matthew Thomas, Dr Emma Rowe, Mr Ray Messer, Dr Sarah Ohi, A/Prof Amanda Mooney, Dr Julie Arnold, Dr Gaelene Hope-Rowe, Dr Peter O'Keefe, Mrs Kate Harvie, Mrs Jacqui Peters, Mrs Katrina Broadhead, Mrs Karen Chaur, Mrs Kate Moncrieff, Dr Kellie Sanders
- 2019: $77,881
- 2018: $182,564
No completed student supervisions to report