Visa and finances

To work in Australia you must have the right visa. The right visa for you will depend on a number of factors such as, but not limited to, the reason you're moving to Australia (e.g. to study or to work), what your nationality is, and how long you intend to stay in Australia.

Where can I get advice and help about visas in Australia and work permits?

A good place to start is the Australian Department of Home Affairs website. This can help guide you through the different types of visas available, as well as explaining eligibility and requirements.

Find out more at the Australian Department of Home Affairs

Some of the requirements you'll need to fulfil include:

  • evidence of available funds
  • skills and qualification assessments
  • health insurance
  • police and health checks
  • English language testing.

Hiring an immigration expert to make it easier

It can be daunting and time consuming investigating and applying for the visa that’s right for you. That’s why you might consider hiring an immigration expert who can help with your application.

This is normally on a fee-for-service basis (borne by you), to advise and assist on the visa application process and determine which visa is right for you. There’s a number of expert companies that can assist.

Find out about Australian Immigration Specialists

Find out about Visa Lawyers Australia

Find out about AustraliaMigrate

Working visas

The most common visas for working in Australia are sponsored visas including the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482) and the Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186). These are sometimes referred to as temporary residency and permanent residency.

The Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482) visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia who have been sponsored and nominated by the University to work in Australia on a temporary basis (up to four years) depending on the length of employment offered and the occupation the person is being nominated for.

The position must be on the list of eligible skilled occupations and the appointee must have the skills, qualifications and experience to match those required for the position, with a minimum of two years relevant work experience.

The Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) lets skilled workers, who are nominated by an employer, live and work in Australia permanently. To be eligible for this visa type, the position must be on the list of eligible skilled occupations and the appointee must have a minimum of three years relevant work experience.

People employed on a temporary visa should be aware they may not be eligible for some government benefits, such as health and childcare rebates. You should ensure you have adequate healthcare cover, and are familiar with the costs of child care in Australia.

Learn about child care in Australia

Read more about healthcare and travel insurance in Australia

Eligibility criteria for a subclass 482 visa 

The applicant must:

  • have the skills, qualifications and experience to match those required for the position. Generally, the minimum required is a relevant degree and at least three years’ work experience in a related field
  • speak a level of English appropriate with the requirements of the position and as deemed by the Department of Immigration
  • be able to meet health checks as required by the Department of Home Affairs
  • maintain arrangements for private health cover.

Bringing family 

Sponsorship can be extended to any:

  • spouse or interdependent partner
  • dependent children
  • dependent children of the visa applicant & spouse or interdependent partner.

Any dependents over the age of 18 must demonstrate that they are financially dependent on the visa applicant.

How long can the visa be granted for? 

The visa holder can:

  • work in Australia for up to four years
  • bring any eligible secondary applicants with them to Australia – secondary applicants can work and study (see Bringing family above for more information)
  • travel in and out of Australia.

The visa holder is not allowed to:

  • change their employer (without prior approval from the Department of Home Affairs)
  • work in a position that is inconsistent with the position on which the visa was issued.

Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) may be suitable for an individual who has been nominated by an approved Australian employer; is younger than 50 years of age (unless you are exempt); and meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements (unless you are exempt).

This visa would normally be used for those who have been offered permanent positions with Deakin.

Accepting a position at Deakin and working in Australia

If you've accepted a job at Deakin University and need a visa to work in Australia, contact an HR adviser for further information. They can advise you around which visa you should apply for, and will make sure Deakin has the appropriate information and documentation to sponsor your application.

Contact a Deakin HR Adviser

After receiving approval from immigration

Once Deakin has lodged the sponsorship nomination and received approval from immigration, you’ll be able to start your visa application. 

Make sure you have all the relevant documentation for your application ready to go when the sponsorship’s approved. For example, this includes medical and police checks. Please make sure you are aware of what documentation you’re required to submit with your application. 

This visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia or skilled temporary residents who live and work in Australia.

  • The temporary residence transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked in Australia for two years, and their employer wants to offer them a permanent position. 
  • The direct entry stream is for people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia.

How much does the visa cost?

What is a permanent resident allowed to do?

Permanent residency lets you live and work in Australia for an unlimited time. You can change employers, and in time, will become eligible for government benefits. 

A permanent residency visa means that Deakin's obligations under other sponsored temporary visa sub-classes are removed.

Bringing family

Deakin will extend sponsorship to:

  • a spouse or interdependent partner
  • dependent children of the main visa applicant
  • dependent children of the main visa applicant's spouse or interdependent partner.

Any dependent over the age of 18 must demonstrate that they are financially dependent on the primary visa applicant in order to be classed as a dependent for the purposes of the visa.

Banking and tax in Australia

Opening a bank account in Australia

If you decide to apply for a bank account when you arrive in Australia, it's worth comparing your options online. 

When applying for an account at a local branch, you'll need to provide 100 points of identification. This may be made up of a valid passport, birth certificate (this might need to be translated to English), an Australian driver’s licence, or details of your Australian residential address. You can learn more about the bank accounts available either online or in a branch.

Opening an account from overseas 

Australian banks make it fast and simple to apply for an account online. You can research the features offered by competing accounts before you make your decision on which financial institution to bank with. 

Of course, you’ll need to make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and provide any information and documentation that the bank requests.

What you’ll need on arrival to finish opening your account

Once you arrive in Australia, you’ll need to visit your bank for identification purposes.
Forms of ID you may have to bring include: 

  • your passport 
  • plane ticket 
  • copy of the bank’s account-opening letter.

Once you’ve been positively identified, you can access your funds and can receive a debit card and PIN.

What to do when you’ve opened and verified your account

When you have opened an Australian bank account for the first time, Deakin will need to get its details from you in order to ensure you receive your fortnightly salary. 

You’ll need to provide us with your branch number — this is your ‘BSB’, a six digit number, three with a dash and then another three e.g. 633-175. You’ll also need to give us your account number, which can be anything from five to nine digits depending on the bank.

How to transfer funds to your Australian account 

Once you’ve opened an Australian bank account, you may want to transfer funds from accounts in your home country to your new account. This is known as an International Money Transfer (IMT). There are a couple of ways you can go about this: 

  • through your bank 
  • via an independent company.

How to transfer money overseas

Shop around for the best exchange rate and the lowest fees. The fees and charges applied can vary on the institution you use and how you make the transfer. 

For example, an IMT made at a branch may attract a higher processing fee than one made via internet banking. Some institutions also charge a receiving fee at the other end, so keep an eye out for any hidden charges that may apply.

Transferring funds internationally to an Australian account

You’ll need to get certain details about your Australian account and bank. This usually includes: 

  • the bank’s SWIFT/BIC (Bank Identifier Code) 
  • IBAN (International Bank Account Number)
  • the address of the bank where you opened the account
  • your Australian account’s BSB (Bank/Branch) number and account number.

All these can easily be obtained by contacting the bank you’ve opened your account with.

Researching Australian banks

You may wish to look at some of the Australian banking corporations for further information.  
The main Australian banks in no particular order are:

Or view a list of authorised deposit-taking institutions in Australia.

Please note: you're required to declare if you're bringing in cash or transferring electronically more than $10,000 in Australian dollars (or the equivalent in a foreign currency).

For further information visit the Australian Government Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre.

More information

Income tax in Australia

Income tax is the most important revenue stream within the Australian taxation system. Income tax is imposed upon three sources of income for individual taxpayers: personal earnings (such as salary and wages), business income and capital gains.

Collectively these three sources of income tax account for approximately 67% of federal government revenue and 55% of total revenue across the three levels of government.

Tax File Number

Your tax file number (TFN) is your personal reference number in the tax and superannuation systems. 

Your TFN is an important part of your tax and superannuation records as well as your identity, so keep it secure.

When you are issued with a TFN it's yours for life. You keep the same TFN even if you change your name, change jobs, move interstate or go overseas. 

You don't have to have a TFN, but without one you pay more tax.

Applying for a TFN

You can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online only if you are currently in Australia and you have one of the following:

  • a valid permanent migrant visa
  • a valid visa with work rights
  • a valid overseas student visa
  • a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely.

For information on how to apply for a TFN outside Australia or upon entering Australia please visit the Australian Tax Office (ATO) web site.

Income tax rates

Income received by individuals is taxed at progressive rates and is collected by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) on behalf of The Commissioner of Taxation.

In Australia the financial year runs from 1 July to 30 June of the following year. Income tax is applied to the taxable income of a taxable entity. Individual income tax rates are calculated, in a broad sense, by applying allowable deductions against the assessable income of a taxable entity.

In July at the end of the financial year, Deakin will provide you with a Payment Summary Advice, which is a summary of your gross earnings and the taxation collected from you during the year. This document is required when preparing your taxation return for the ATO. 

Should you have queries regarding how taxation may affect you personally you should contact the Australian Taxation Office directly or consult with a certified accountant.

Contact us

Contact a Deakin HR Adviser by completing our online form.

Contact a HR Adviser