Assessing work-integrated learning (WIL) programs: a guide to effective assessment design
This guide aims to foster high quality assessment practice in diverse WIL programs and activities, drawing on contemporary research and education theory. It is intended for academics, practitioners and industry partners involved in the design and delivery of WIL assessment, and contains guiding questions and case scenarios.
Dawson, P, Henderson, M, Mahoney, P, Phillips, M, Ryan, T, Boud, D and Molloy, E 2019 ‘What makes for effective feedback: staff and student perspectives’, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 25–36, DOI:10.1080/02602938.2018.1467877
Dawson, P and Sutherland-Smith, W 2019 ‘Can training improve marker accuracy at detecting contract cheating? A multi-disciplinary pre-post study’, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 715–725, DOI:10.1080/02602938.2018.1531109
Mahoney, P, Macfarlane, S and Ajjawi, R, 2019 ‘A qualitative synthesis of video feedback in higher education’, Teaching in Higher Education, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 157–179, DOI:10.1080/13562517.2018.1471457
Molloy, E and Bearman, M, 2019 ‘Embracing the tension between vulnerability and credibility: “intellectual candour” in health professions education’, Medical Education, vol. 53, pp. 32–41. DOI:10.1111/medu.13649
Sridharan, B, Tai, J and Boud, D, 2019 ‘Does the use of summative peer assessment in collaborative group work inhibit good judgement?’ Higher Education, vol. 77, pp. 853–870. DOI:10.1007/s10734-018-0305-7
Winstone, N and Boud, D 2019 ‘Exploring cultures of feedback practice: the adoption of learning-focused feedback practices in the UK and Australia’, Higher Education Research & Development, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 411-425, DOI:10.1080/07294360.2018.1532985
Resources on assessment and digital learning
- All projects funded by the OLT in the assessment category
- Assessment Decisions project
- ESCAPE project: assessment timelines
- JISC Transforming Assessment and Feedback
- Feedback Effecting Sustainable Change in Assessment Practice and Experience (ESCAPE) Project
- Re-engineering Assessment Practices in Higher Education
- Assessing And Assuring Graduate Learning Outcomes project
- Better Judgement
- Embedding the Development and Grading of Generic Skills in the Business Curriculum
- TESTA project
- Standards Knowledge Exchange
- University of Edinburgh Enhancing Feedback site
- Assessment Resources at HKU
The Universities Australia Learning and Teaching Repository
1. Jones, S., Ladyshewsky, R., Oliver, B., & Flavell, H. (2008). Leading courses: academic leadership for course coordinators - Final Report. Curtin University of Technology: Australian Learning and Teaching Council, 1-67.
2. Kiley, M., Boud, D., Cantwell, R., Manathunga, C., Pike, M., Nursoo, I., ... & Main, A. (2009). The role of honours in contemporary Australian higher education. Canberra: The Australian National University, 1-29.
3. Oliver, B. (2010). Benchmarking partnerships for graduate employability – Final Report. Australian Learning and Teaching Council Fellowship, 1-75.
4. Boud, D., Freeman, M., James, R., Joughin, G., Sadler, R., Dochy, F., & Fitzgerald, T. (2010). Student assessment for learning in and after courses - UTS Fellowship Report. Australian Learning and Teaching Council, 1-31.
5. Oliver, B. (2011). Assuring graduate outcomes – Good Practice Report. Australian Learning and Teaching Council, 1-49.
6. Oliver, B., & Whelan, B. (2008). Building course team capacity to enhance graduate employability – Final Report. Australian Learning and Teaching Council, 1-60.
7. Nelson, R., & Dawson, P. (2014). Assessment as learning through conversation simulation – Final Report. Monash University: Office for Learning and Teaching, 1-28.
8. Chalmers, D., Cummings, R., Elliott, S., Stoney, S., Tucker, B., Wicking, R., & Jorre de St Jorre, T. (2014). Australian university teaching criteria and standards project – Final Report. Office for Learning and Teaching, 1-66.
9. Boud, D., Brew, A., Dowling, R., Kiley, M., Malfroy, J., McKenzie, J., & Solomon, N. (2014). Building local leadership for research education: Final Report. Office for Learning and Teaching, 1-74.
10. Bearman, M., Dawson, P., Boud, D., Hall, M., Bennett, S., Molloy, E., & Joughin, G. (2014). Guide to the assessment design decisions framework, 1-64.
11. Dawson, P., Bearman, M., Molloy, E., Boud, D., Joughin, G., & Bennett, S. (2014). Improving assessment: understanding educational decision-making in practice – Final Report. Office for Learning and Teaching, 1-41.
12. Oliver, B. (2015). Assuring graduate capabilities: Evidencing levels of achievement for graduate employability – Final Report. Office for Learning and Teaching, 1-44.
13. Slade, S., Baik, C., Bearman, M., Carbone, A., Hughes-Warrington, M., Neumann, D. L., & Smith, C. D. (2014). Systematic review-What is reported regarding the development of instruments which assess teaching quality in higher education? Office for Teaching and Learning, 1-72.
14. Thistlethwaite, J., Dallest, K., Bainbridge, L., Bogossian, F. E., Boud, D., Dunston, R., ... & Dickie, R. (2015). Work-based assessment of teamwork: an interprofessional approach – Final Report. Office for Learning and Teaching, 1-82.
15. Oliver, B. (2016). 21C Credentials: curate, credential and carry forward digital learning evidence - Final Report. Curtin University: Office for Learning and Teaching, 1-39.
16. Oliver, B. (2016). Better 21C Credentials: evaluating the promise, perils and disruptive potential of digital credentials. Deakin University, 1-47.
17. Nelson, R. (2017). Building institutional capacity for peer leadership: informing strategic decision-making to enhance student leadership capabilities – Final Report. Australian Government Department of Education and Training, 1-49.
18. Henderson, M., Boud, D., Molloy, E., Dawson, P., Phillips, M., Ryan, T., & Mahoney, P. (2018). Feedback for Learning: Closing the Assessment Loop – Final Report. Australian Government Department of Education and Training, 1-47.
19. Boud, D., & Dochy, F. (2010). Assessment 2020. Seven propositions for assessment reform in higher education – Final Report. University of Technology Sydney: Australian Learning and Teaching Council, 1-4.
20. Oliver, B. (2019). Making micro-credentials work for learners, employers and providers – Full Report. Deakin University, 1-56.
21. Johnson, E., Rice, J., Varsavsky, C., Holdsworth, J., Ward, J., Skelly, D., ... & Orrell, J. (2019). Successful WIL in Science – Achievements statement. Australian Government Department of Education and Training, 1-1.
22. Johnson, E., Rice, J., Varsavsky, C., Holdsworth, J., Ward, J., Skelly, D., ... & Orrell, J. (2019). Successful WIL in Science – Final Report. Australian Government Department of Education and Training, 1-64.
23. Hammond, J., Ryland, K., Tennant, M., & Boud, D. (2010). Building Research Supervision and Training across Australian Universities – Final Report. University of Technology Sydney: Australian Learning and Teaching Council, 1-105.
24. Sheen, J., Sutherland-Smith, W., Dudley, A., Boyd, L., & McGillivray, J. (2016). Risk Aware: Enhancing students' clinical competency in risky environments through a blended simulation‐based learning program – Final Report. Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment, 1-75.