Casual Academic in the School of Engineering

The School of Engineering (SoE) encompasses a wide range of engineering disciplines for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Casual academic staff members are an important part of the School’s teaching program. They assist the School to maintain a high quality in teaching and learning and to satisfy students’ learning requirements for units and courses and increase flexibility in subject offerings.

The School of Engineering is based at Deakin's Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus and we also offer study options through our Cloud Campus (online study) and at our Melbourne Burwood Campus Visit our School of Engineering interest areas website to see the courses offered.

You are encouraged to submit an expression of interest (EOI) application if you believe that you have the qualifications and capability to work within our teaching teams in the following areas:

  • Additive manufacturing
  • Civil engineering
  • Electrical and electronics engineering
  • Electrical and renewable energy engineering
  • Engineering management
  • Environmental engineering
  • Mechanical engineering
  • Mechatronics engineering

Expressions of Interest

You are able to submit a casual academic expression of interest with the School of Engineering through our online application.

Applicants must hold a qualification in a relevant discipline at least one level higher than is awarded for the course of study, or equivalent relevant academic, professional, or practice-based experience and expertise. This is a requirement set by the Australian Australian Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) to meet the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) standards.

What to expect

Once an expression of interest has been submitted, you should receive an automatic acknowledgement email that we have received it.  Please ensure that you check your junk/spam mailbox if this does not arrive within 1 hour, usually much earlier.

All applications will be reviewed to assess eligibility.

Eligible applicants:
If you are deemed eligible, your information will be held in our casual academic register and will be available to be viewed for possible opportunities by School of Engineering Unit Chairs or Course Directors. Your information will be kept on file for a maximum period of one academic year (12 months).

If there is an opportunity, you will be contacted by the Unit Chair or Course Director to discuss your expression of interest further. Being eligible does not mean immediate employment.

Following agreement between both parties, employment documentation will be sent to you electronically for completion and signing. Once documentation is submitted, you will receive confirmation of employment from the School.

Note: An expression of interest does not guarantee that you will be employed as a casual academic staff member.

Ineligible applicants:
For those deemed ineligible to undertake casual teaching within the School, all information received by us from you will be destroyed from University records. You will only be contacted if you are deemed eligible and an opportunity is available.

Working with Children Check

Please note that all casual academic staff who are employed to undertake teaching require a current Working with Children Check (WWCC) before they commence work.

Deakin University is required to meet Victorian Government legislation relating to child wellbeing and safety (‘child safe standards’), and as a result of this legislative requirement the University Executive made the decision that all current casual academic and professional staff whose roles involve the possible current or future contact with children and young people under 18 years (including oral, written or electronic communication) as part of their work will be required to provide the University with a current Employee Working with Children Check (WWCC) before they commence work.

For more information on the WWCC application process, please visit the Victorian Government's Working with Children Check website.

Ready to apply?

If you would like to apply for a casual academic position with the School of Engineering, please apply via our online application.

If you have any general queries regarding the process, please contact

Last updated:
Page custodian: Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment