Equipment and technology
The Digital Manufacturing Lab offers a range of equipment for digital manufacturing, including:
- SLM 125 -metal 3D printer using Selective Laser Melting for prints 120mm x 120mm x 120mm
- Okuma Multus U3000 multifunction production machine capable of producing specialised parts
- Spinner U5-620 5-axis machine with a 20,000rpm spindle with 70bar Coolant through spindle
- Wire EDM – for cutting parts that have been printed on the SLM
- OMAX 5-axis waterjet cutter – capable of cutting any materials to complex shapes and geometries (up to 1800mm x 2000mm)
- Trotec laser cutters – for cutting acrylic up to 10mm and a range of other materials
- MFI Mass finishing machine – for media rumbling finishing of additive manufactured plastic, metal and polyjet parts.
Our partners become valued members of the wider Deakin engineering family, not just our school. Opportunities to partner with us include work-integrated learning and industry-based learning and placements, student projects, and commercial research projects and services.
Study with us
Deakin offers the following study and research options:
- Undergraduate students can study through either our Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) or Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering (Honours) degrees.
- Postgraduate students can study through either our Master of Engineering or Master of Engineering (Professional) specialising in mechanical engineering design.
- Research studies can be undertaken through our Master of Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) higher degree by research degrees.