About the lab
The Additive Manufacturing Lab has a range of different 3D printing technologies including commercial grade 3D printers with different printing technologies along with many smaller desktop style printers give this area great capacity and capability.
Students are trained in how to use the technologies in the lab within the mechanical and mechatronics engineering courses, as well as in their final-year project.
Higher degree by research students undertaking their masters or PhD by research, as well as academic staff, use the lab for research projects. One research project was to investigate how recycled 3D plastic on the Solomon Islands could be reused to 3D print useful parts to support the Solomon Island community.
Equipment and technology
The additive manufacturing lab includes the following equipment and technology:
- Connex Polyjet printer that can print parts with different properties and colours within the single print job such as for non-implantable bio-medical items
- SLM metal 3D printer able to print in a range of different materials
- Fortus 450 able to print in ASA, ABS, Nylon, Ultem and Carbon Fibre reinforced nylon
- HP 580 powder-based multijet fusion (MJF) technology that uses PA12, which is suitable for printing accurate functional parts.
Explore our facility
Our partners become valued members of the wider Deakin engineering family, not just our school. Opportunities to partner with us include work-integrated learning and industry-based learning and placements, student projects, and commercial research projects and services.
Study with us
Deakin offers the following study and research options:
- Undergraduate students can study through either our Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) or Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering (Honours).
- Postgraduate students can study through our Master of Engineering (Professional) specialising in additive manufacturing.
- Research studies can be undertaken through our Master of Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) higher degree by research degrees.