School and Institute
Melbourne Burwood Campus
Diet may influence the disease progression of multiple sclerosis (MS). However, our previous research has shown that people with MS are confused about the conflicting diets that are marketed to people with MS, and they want evidence-based dietary advice that is specific for MS. Using a co-design process, we will develop and test a digital nutrition education intervention to improve diet quality among people with MS.
This PhD project will be part of the MS Nutrition Research Program, led by Professor Lucinda Black, which aims to help people with MS make good food choices through community-led research and education.
The successful candidate will be based at the Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition (IPAN), School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences at Deakin University. IPAN is a multi-disciplinary research institute with internationally renowned researchers focused on understanding - and influencing - physical activity and nutrition to improve health across the lifespan.
We are seeking expressions of interest (EOI) from suitably qualified and highly motivated candidates interested in pursuing a Doctorate of Philosophy in Health Sciences, with the following aims:
- To identify best practice for delivering digital health interventions with people with neurological conditions
- To establish preferences for content, features, and personalisation of a digital nutrition education program for people with MS
- To develop an innovative digital nutrition education program for people with MS
- To test the effects of a digital nutrition education intervention on diet quality and food and nutrition literacy using a randomised controlled trial
Applications will remain open until a candidate has been appointed
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $34,400 per annum tax exempt (2024 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate
- International students only: Tuition fees offset
for the duration of 4 years. Single Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa.
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic or international candidate. Domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship.
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Nutrition at undergraduate or postgraduate level
How to apply
Please email a CV and cover letter to Prof Lucinda Black. The CV should highlight your skills, education, publications and relevant work experience. If you are successful you will then be invited to submit a formal application.
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Prof Lucinda Black
Prof Lucinda Black
Email Prof Lucinda Black
+61 3 9244 5491