Your pathway into Deakin
If you've successfully met the English and course entry requirements for admission into relevant engineering and IT courses, but don't have evidence of meeting the prerequisite mathematics listed in the course entry requirements, you may be eligible to take the MEA.
The MEA is a 1.5 hour written test that assesses a candidate's ability to do algebra, calculus and statistics at a level equivalent to VCE Mathematical Methods.
The test is open to applicants who:
- have met the English language and previous study entry requirements
- have no or insufficient evidence of meeting the mathematics prerequisite necessary for entry into any of the following courses:
- Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Environmental Engineering (Honours).
If you're eligible to take the MEA our admissions team will contact you via email explaining how to register for your preferred test date. If you're unable to attend your session please contact us within 24 hours of the assessment to change your session time (subject to availability).
We'll provide you with instructions on how to connect with our team on the day of your booking. Please make sure you bring photo ID and have your student ID number ready at the start of the test.
The MEA will cover some of the following topics including general mathematical mechanics (e.g. rearranging formulae, solving equations), indices, domain and range, differentiation (including the chain, product and quotient rules), integration, algebra (including matrices), tangents and normals, probability, periodic functions and modelling.
You can also refer to the following textbooks:
- VCE Mathematical Methods Units 1&2
- VCE Mathematical Methods Units 3&4 by Evans et al.
- Queensland Maths B (may not cover every topic)
- UK A Level Maths (may not cover every topic).
The MEA will be conducted over Zoom (free to use) at 6pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) on the following dates:
- 28 January 2021
- 25 February 2021
- 25 March 2021
- 29 April 2021
- 27 May 2021
- 24 June 2021.
There are two possible outcomes from sitting the MEA:
- Satisfactory: You have met the mathematics prerequisite for your chosen course.
- Unsatisfactory or no attempt: You have not met the mathematics prerequisite for your chosen course and will not be given permission to retake the test until the next available intake.
Please note: Applications for Deakin programs must be made via Deakin Application Portal depending on your circumstances. For international applicants, applications can be made through Deakin International. For more information on the Admission Criteria and Selection Policy please refer to The Guide.