Your pathway into Deakin
If you've successfully met English and course entry requirements for admission into relevant engineering and IT courses, but don't have evidence of meeting prerequisite mathematics listed in the course entry requirements, you may be eligible to take the MEA.
The MEA is a 1.5 hour written test that assesses a candidate's ability to do algebra, calculus and statistics at a level equivalent to VCE Mathematics Methods.
The test is open to applicants who:
- have met the English language and previous study entry requirements
- have no evidence of meeting mathematics prerequisite necessary for entry into any of the following courses:
- Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Environmental Engineering (Honours).
If you're eligible to take the MEA, our admissions team will contact you via email explaining how to register for your preferred test date. If you're unable to attend your session, please contact us within 24 hours of the assessment to change your session time (subject to availability).
We'll provide you with instructions on how to connect with our team on the day of your booking. Make sure you bring photo ID and have your student ID number ready at the start of the test.
There are two possible outcomes from sitting the MEA:
- Satisfactory: You have met the mathematics prerequisite for your chosen course.
- Unsatisfactory or no attempt: You have not met the mathematics prerequisite for your chosen course and will not be given permission to retake the test until the next available intake.
Please note: Applications for Deakin programs must be made via Deakin Application Portal depending on your circumstances. For international applicants, applications can be made through Deakin International. For more information on the Admission Criteria and Selection Policy please refer to The Guide.