WIL Student Support Scheme
The WIL Support Scheme is an equity initiative, funded by the Commonwealth Government grant via the Higher Education Participation and Partnership Program (HEPPP), to help increase access, participation and success of domestic undergraduate students from low socio-economic status (SES) backgrounds, persons from regional areas and remote areas and Indigenous persons.
|Study period||Opening date||Closing date|
|Period 1 2023|
(Trimester/Semester 1 2023)
|Thursday 16 February at midday AEDT||Wednesday 22 March at 5pm AEST|
|Period 2 2023|
(Trimester/Semester 2 2023)
|Wednesday 14 June at midday AEST||Wednesday 26 July at 5pm AEST|
|Period 3 2023|
(Trimester 3 2023)
|Thursday 19 October at midday AEDT||Wednesday 22November at 5pm ADST|
Payments are calculated on the minimum duration (hours) required by the WIL unit, according to the 2023 handbook.
- WIL placements of four weeks or less - total payment of $1000.
- WIL placements of five weeks to seven weeks - total payment of $1500.
- WIL placements of eight weeks - total payment of $2000.
- WIL placements of greater than eight weeks - total payment of $2500.
- For international WIL placements - total payment of $2000.
- If relocating from usual place of residence to undertake the placement, an additional $500 relocation cost allowance may be available. Suitable evidence may be requested.
- If relocating to non-home state and travelling by air, an additional $500 interstate air travel cost supplement allowance may be available upon production of suitable evidence.
To meet the eligibility criteria for Period 1 2023 you must:
- be a domestic (Australian citizen, a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa, an Australian permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen) undergraduate student in a Commonwealth supported place
- be enrolled full time
- be enrolled in an approved WIL unit within Trimester/Semester 1 2023 with a confirmed placement arranged with your faculty
- not have received a HEPPP retention and support scholarshipTrimester/Semester Trimester/Semester 1 2023
- not have another current Deakin scholarship equal to or greater than $2000 per Trimester/Semester in 2023
- not already hold a bachelor degree (from any university)
- be able to demonstrate one of the following:
- be from low SES* background
- be from a regional or remote area as defined by the Australian Statistical Geography Standard – Remoteness Ares (ASGS-RA)
- be an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
* Have a home address in the lowest quartile of the SEIFA Education and Occupation Index.
How to apply
Applications for Trimester / Semester 1 are now open.
You can apply for the WIL Student Support Scheme through our Deakin Scholarship Application Portal.
Applications will close on Wednesday 22 March at 5pm AEST.
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the information you provide in your application.
In the online application, you will be asked to provide information about yourself and to demonstrate why you require financial assistance to complete your WIL placement.
Important information for applicants
- Consult your student adviser to ensure that you can fit a WIL placement into your course and identify the unit you will enrol in if you find a suitable role.
- Ensure that you have enrolled in a WIL unit. Please note, applications will not be considered for the WIL student support scheme until your enrolment in the WIL unit is confirmed and appears on your student record.
- If you have already commenced your WIL placement, you can still apply for the WIL Student Support Scheme within the official application opening and closing dates for the trimester/semester the placement unit enrolment is within.
- If you have applied and have received the WIL Student Support Scheme or WIL support bursary in previous years, you are still eligible to apply in 2023.
For further information about the scheme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate you may be experiencing financial difficulties and in order to assist, Deakin offers interest free loans - some conditions apply. Further information regarding the financial assistance options are available at financial assistance.