Financial Assistance for students
If you are experiencing financial difficulties we are here to help. We offer a range of services such as interest-free loans and financial counselling.
Interest free student loans, for study related expenses, are available to students who are in financial need.
Other financial assistance
- Natural disaster grants
- Rural Clinical Support Scheme (Medicine)
- Rural Clinical Support Scheme (Nursing and Allied Health)
- Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Student Support Scheme
The following options can help you plan a budget and provide advice on managing university costs:
COVID-19 Financial Assistance Scheme
The safety and well-being of the Deakin community remains our top priority during this difficult period.
To find out more and apply, visit the COVID-19 Financial Assistance Scheme page.
The following is a list of support options available to students
Study Melbourne International Student Emergency Relief Fund
The Victorian Government has announced a $45 million International Student Emergency Relief Fund for international students facing financial hardship. If you are an international student, studying on a student visa, living in Victoria and experiencing financial hardship through loss of employment/reduction in hours due to the COVID-19 restrictions, you may be eligible for support. To apply, visit the COVID-19 Financial Assistance Scheme page.
For more information about where to find information, practical help and confidential support available at Study Melbourne, visit www.studymelbourne.vic.gov.au/coronavirus.
Deakin provides a range of scholarships designed to assist students in need. If you are experiencing financial or other hardship consider applying for a Deakin scholarship. You the Find a scholarship tool to help find a scholarship suitable to you.
The International Student Support team provides advice, support and encouragement to international students on a range of matters.
- Centrelink assistance for Deakin postgraduate students - find out if your course is approved
- Centrelink - Managing your money (opens new window)
- Austudy - eligibility requirements, claiming etc (opens new window)
- Student Update Facebook page (opens new window)
- Department of Human Services - RentAssist bond loan (opens new window)
- Budget planner (MoneySmart) (opens new window)
Contact a Financial Assistance Officer.
Submit an online enquiry to Student Central
- Monday - Thursday 8:30am to 7pm
- Friday 8.30am to 6pm
- Saturday 10am to 2pm