Financial Assistance for students
If you are experiencing financial difficulties we are here to help. We offer a range of services such as interest-free loans and financial counselling.
Interest free student loans, for study related expenses, are available to students who are in financial need.
Other financial assistance
- Natural disaster grants
- Rural Clinical Support Scheme (Medicine)
- Rural Clinical Support Scheme (Nursing and Allied Health)
- Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Student Support Scheme
The following options can help you plan a budget and provide advice on managing university costs:
Centrelink - COVID-19 Disaster Payment
If you’ve been affected by the Victorian lockdown and have lost income, you may be eligible for Centrelink's COVID-19 Disaster payment.
COVID-19 Test Isolation Payment
Workers in Victoria who are self-isolating while waiting for a COVID-19 test result can apply for a $450 COVID-19 Test Isolation Payment, which provides financial support if someone cannot earn an income while they self-isolate.
Deakin provides a range of scholarships designed to assist students in need. If you are experiencing financial or other hardship consider applying for a Deakin scholarship. Use the Find a scholarship tool to help find a scholarship suitable to you.
Tertiary Access Payment
The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) is a one-off, non-indexed, means-tested payment to school-leavers from outer regional or remote areas who relocate more than 90 mins to undertake full-time, higher-level tertiary education.
If you completed Year 12 in 2020, are from a outer regional/remote home location and are moving to study at a Deakin campus, which is more than 90 minutes from your home,
For more information visit our Tertiary Access Payment page.
The Victorian Government has extended its support programs to ensure critical support – including food and financial aid – is available to international students impacted by the pandemic. For further information please visit www.studymelbourne.vic.gov.au
For information on community and food assistance visit Community support and food relief.
The Australian Red Cross may also be able to offer emergency support. For further information please visit www.redcross.org.au/vicrelief.
Saver Plus is a financial education program for families and individuals on a tight budget to develop life-long savings habits. For eligibility and full details please visit Brotherhood of St Laurence Saver Plus.
- Centrelink assistance for Deakin postgraduate students - find out if your course is approved
- Centrelink - Managing your money (opens new window)
- Austudy - eligibility requirements, claiming etc (opens new window)
- Student Update Facebook page (opens new window)
- Department of Human Services - RentAssist bond loan (opens new window)
- Budget planner (MoneySmart) (opens new window)
- Support services for students impacted by COVID-19
Contact a Financial Assistance Officer.
Submit an online enquiry to Student Central
- Monday - Thursday 8:30am to 7pm
- Friday 8.30am to 6pm
- Saturday 10am to 2pm