Financial Assistance for students
If you are experiencing financial difficulties we are here to help. We offer a range of services such as interest-free loans and financial counselling.
Interest free student loans, for study related expenses, are available to students who are in financial need.
Other financial assistance
- Natural disaster grants
- Rural Clinical Support Scheme (Medicine)
- Rural Clinical Support Scheme (Nursing and Allied Health)
- Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Student Support Scheme
The following options can help you plan a budget and provide advice on managing university costs:
If you are an international student in Victoria experiencing financial hardship, you may be eligible for emergency financial support through the Victorian Government’s Extreme Hardship Support Program.
The program is for temporary and provisional visa holders and undocumented migrants, including international students, who:
- are experiencing significant hardship as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19)
- have little or no income, savings or community support.
Please visit www.redcross.org.au/vicrelief to apply.
For further information on the range of support available to international students from the Victorian Government visit www.studymelbourne.vic.gov.au
The following is a list of additional support options available to students at this time:
Tertiary Access Payment
The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) is a one-off, non-indexed, means-tested payment to school-leavers from outer regional or remote areas who relocate more than 90 mins to undertake full-time, higher-level tertiary education.
If you completed Year 12 in 2020, are from a outer regional/remote home location and are moving to study at a Deakin campus, which is more than 90 minutes from your home, consider applying for this payment.
Deakin provides a range of scholarships designed to assist students in need. If you are experiencing financial or other hardship consider applying for a Deakin scholarship. You the Find a scholarship tool to help find a scholarship suitable to you.
- Centrelink assistance for Deakin postgraduate students - find out if your course is approved
- Centrelink - Managing your money (opens new window)
- Austudy - eligibility requirements, claiming etc (opens new window)
- Student Update Facebook page (opens new window)
- Department of Human Services - RentAssist bond loan (opens new window)
- Budget planner (MoneySmart) (opens new window)
Contact a Financial Assistance Officer.
Submit an online enquiry to Student Central
- Monday - Thursday 8:30am to 7pm
- Friday 8.30am to 6pm
- Saturday 10am to 2pm