Financial Assistance for students
For students experiencing financial difficulties, Deakin offers a range of services such as interest-free loans, emergency essentials and other support options.
Loans and grants
Interest free student loans, for study related expenses, are available to students who are in financial need. Grants are awarded on the basis of financial need and in exceptional circumstances. Satisfactory academic performance will be taken into account.
Work Integrated Learning support
Emergency cards for food and transport costs are available by contacting the Financial Assistance office on the details on this page.
We can help plan a budget and provide advice on managing university costs.
DUSA survival centre
DUSA's Student Survival Centre (opens new window) is a free one-stop shop for any student who is finding it hard financially or needing emergency supplies. Students in need of a helping hand are welcome to collect items, no questions asked.
Deakin provides scholarships and awards and grants in exceptional circumstances to provide once-off financial assistance.
Assistance for international students facing financial hardship.
- Centrelink assistance for Deakin postgraduate students - find out if your course is approved
- Centrelink - Managing your money (opens new window)
- Austudy - eligibility requirements, claiming etc (opens new window)
- Student Update Facebook page (opens new window)
- Department of Human Services - Bond Loan Scheme (opens new window)
- Budget planner (MoneySmart) (opens new window)
Contact a Financial Assistance Officer.
Submit an enquiry
- Monday - Friday : 8:30am to 8pm
- Saturday : 10am to 2pm