Global Citizenship Program
Expand your world and advance your career prospects with Deakin's Global Citizenship Program
In an increasingly globalised world, today's employers and businesses are looking for people with global experiences. When you finish your Deakin studies, you will want to show that you are globally aware, culturally sensitive, and able to live and work independently.
Deakin's Global Citizenship Program is specifically designed to engage you with a variety of global programs and activities that can build up your skills in areas that are important in the global workplace and global community.
The Global Citizenship Program is aimed at supplementing your studies at Deakin and involves a combination of different international activities such as:
- International study experiences
- Participation in internationally-focused units
- Seminars on international topics
- International internships
- International-centred volunteering
- Foreign language studies
- Peer mentoring
While the program is primarily non-credit bearing, you will receive a certificate of completion which you can attach to your resume and that will outline the areas you have engaged in.
How to participate in the Global Citizenship Program
- Email your full name, student ID and course code to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will include you in our database and update you with the latest international opportunities.
- You will need to participate in a number of internationally-related activities that will assist you to develop key personal, academic and careers skills. You will need to keep a record of activities completed until you are ready to apply.
- Each activity is given a point value based on its associated skills and the extent to which each skill is developed. Refer to Global Citizenship Activities and Outcomes for full details. Your aim is to accumulate a minimum of 100 points.
- Apply for the award once you accumulated a minimum of 100 points.
To apply for the Global Citizenship Award, you must earn a total of at least 100 points, you can apply during your degree or up to 12 months after graduation. The activities must be completed in the time of your Deakin degree.
Please note that the below list of activities are pre-approved. If you have completed an activity that you feel is worthy of GCP points, please email with details and Deakin Abroad staff can make an assessment.
|Long-term global volunteering (4 months plus)||60|
|Global volunteering (over 4 weeks)||40|
|Global volunteering (up to 4 weeks)||30|
|Deakin Abroad Global Leader (per trimester - maximum 2)||20|
|Deakin Abroad Global Advisor (per trimester - maximum 2)||10|
|Peer Mentoring Program (per trimester - maximum 2)*||10|
|Volunteering (domestic with international focus - 10hr minimum)||10|
|DUELI Leadership and Internship Program (per trimester international students online)||10|
|CONNECT Program (international students only)||10|
|Long-term global internship (4 months plus)||60|
|Global internships (over 4 weeks)||40|
|Global internships (up to 4 weeks)||30|
|Australian internships (international students only)||20|
|Internship (domestic with international focus - up to 4 weeks)||20|
|Leadership in an organisation or club with an international focus||10|
|Participation in an organisation or club with an international focus||5|
|Presentation/lecture or promotion on global study experience at Deakin or international partner including contribution to Deakin blogs.||5|
|Exchange/Study Abroad program or International Students at Deakin (at least 1 trimester)**||60|
|In-country research (over 8 weeks)||40|
|Global study intensive (study tours/short-term programs 1-2 credit points)||30|
|Global conference or globally-focused domestic conference, 2 days or longer (maximum 2)||20|
|Major project or thesis/essay with international focus as part of Deakin degree (at least 4000 words)||10|
|Attendance at lecture or symposium with global focus (maximum 2)||10|
|Deakin unit with international focus (only students studying a ‘non-international-focused course’ who take an ‘international-focused elective’)||5|
|Attendance of Deakin Talent Workshop||5|
|Long-term in-country language program (+4 months)||60|
|Major language stream or diploma||40|
|DUELI Language school (international students only)||40|
|In-country language program (up to 4 months)||30|
|Sub-major language stream||20|
|Beginners language study (global or domestic)||10|
|Chinese Conversation Lounge||10|
* Students involved in the Faculty Peer mentoring/support programs may be eligible for GCP points (10 per trimester with a cap of 20). To be eligible for these points the student must submit a 500 word (minimum) reflection on the international experience they had within the program. This international focus must be clearly outlined to be eligible for points. A program completion certificate must be provided with the application.
** For an exchange/study abroad program, points are awarded for the experience rather than the duration. If you attend the same overseas university for one or more trimesters you will be awarded 60 points once for this experience.
- Increased self-confidence
- Increased maturity
- Increased independence
- Increased tolerance to ambiguity, conflict and change
- Enhanced leadership skills
- Improved interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Improved foreign language ability
- Better relationships
- Increased ability to appreciate multiple perspectives and diversity
- Enhanced interest in academics
- Enhanced problem-solving skills
- Reinforced commitment to and persistent with academia
- Enhanced planning, organisation and time management skills
- Improved networking skills
- Increased ability to manage a budget
- Increased regional understanding
- Increased business acumen
The Global Citizenship Program welcomes participation from international students. At Deakin, we recognise the significance of your decision to study abroad. Whether you plan on returning home or staying in Australia, the GCP has been designed to equip you with skills that will place you at an advantage in the global job market. You may have already developed some skills while living and studying in Australia, so why not get these skills certified?
International students are automatically granted 60 points for their enrolment at Deakin - which means you only need 40 more points to apply for an award. There are opportunities to attend a study tour, volunteer or do an internship in Australia or abroad, study a foreign language or attend international conferences.
Make the most of your international experience by participating in the pre-approved activities listed below or, refer to the full list under “Points”.
If you have any questions about the GCP, please email email@example.com
|International Student at Deakin||60|
|Volunteering domestic (10h minimum)||10|
|Australian Internship (min. 4 weeks)||20|
|DUELI Leadership and Internship Program||10|
|Leadership in an organisation or club with international focus (e.g. Dueli Volunteer Program)||10|
|Participation in an organisation or club with international focus (e.g. Dueli Club)||5|
|Participation in Chinese Conversation Lounge||40|
|"Studying and having good grades is important, but so is having a balance in life. Take the time to enjoy your university experience in Australia." - Jihyun Seo (Emily), Deakin International student, Malawi volunteering program 2014|
Excited yet? Read on to find out how to apply!
Apply for the Global Citizenship Program
1. Email your full name, student ID and course code to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will include you in our database and update you with the latest international opportunities.
2. Participate in a variety of internationally-related activities such as: international study, volunteering, internships, conferences, or units, or domestic activities with an international focus.
3. Earn a total of at least 100 points to be eligible for the Global Citizenship Award.
Apply for the Global Citizenship Award
Download, complete & submit the GCP application form along with the required supporting documents, by the 31st of August 2019. Should your application be successful, you will receive the Global Citizenship Award in 2019!