Legal Professional Practice – MLL338 and MLJ738
What is Legal Professional Practice?
Legal Professional Practice is a flexible WIL unit that allows you to utilise an internship, clerkship, legal research role, or current legal experience for credit.
- You should be supervised by a legal professional.
- You must be completing tasks that are substantially of a legal nature.
- Placements must be at least 100 hours and cannot exceed 160 hours.
- Host organisations should have at least 5 employees or supporting staff.
- Deakin will provide insurance for all unpaid internships
- Internships can be undertaken almost anywhere: locally, internationally or online.
This unit is repeatable if it is not with the same host or, if it is with the same host, it's a recognisably different placement (e.g. different supervisor and area of law).
Ways to take MLL338/MLJ738 Legal Professional Practice
Unit details and eligibility
Please visit the University Handbook for further unit information, prerequisites and key trimester dates.
It is your responsibility to ensure that taking a WIL unit contributes towards your course requirements and will not prevent you from meeting your course rules. Please contact Student Central if you are unsure.
Key dates and FAQs
This unit is available in all three trimesters. You must first apply to the WIL team as it is not possible to self-enrol in this unit.
Applications will usually close by the 'final day to add units'. Please see our how to apply webpage for specific opening and closing dates.