Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Legal Professional Practice – MLL338 and MLJ738

Legal Professional Practice – MLL338 and MLJ738

What is Legal Professional Practice?

If you are studying a Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor, you have the option of sourcing your own internship in a legal environment. Your placement can be in a private practice law firm, community legal centre, consultancy firm legal team, in-house counsel team, court, government department, with barristers and mediators or offering research assistance to legal academics.

Both paid and unpaid placements can be undertaken. Law-related roles at your current organisation may also be approved. Deakin's  insurance will comprehensively cover students on approved unpaid placements. Placements can be taken anywhere in Australia or internationally.

Placements will only be considered when they meet these criteria:

  • you should be supervised by a legal professional
  • you must be completing tasks that are substantially of a legal nature
  • placements must be at least 100 hours and cannot exceed 160 hours.

This unit is repeatable if it is not with the same host or, if it is with the same host, it's a recognisably different placement (e.g. different supervisor and area of law).

Available options

Who can apply?

This program is available for credit to undergraduate and postgraduate students across all faculties and campuses, who are eligible to use a WIL unit towards their degree.

Program enrolment

Successful students are eligible to undertake this for 1 credit point and are required to enrol in:

  • MLL338 Legal Professional Practice or
  • MLJ738 Legal Professional Practice.

It is your responsibility to ensure that taking a WIL unit contributes towards your course requirements and will not prevent you from meeting your course rules. Please contact a student adviser at Student Central if you are unsure.

Key dates and FAQs

This unit is available in all three trimesters.

View our frequently asked questions for application deadlines and further information

Contact us

If you still need help, please contact our Work Integrated Learning (WIL) team.