Review of results
After results are released at the end of a study period, you may apply for a review of results, including assessment in any part of the unit.
Types of review
There are two types of formal review available:
An Administrative Review checks that all assignment and exam marks have been included and added up correctly to obtain your final mark. You must apply within five working days from the date of official notification of the results for a unit.
An application for Academic Review must be lodged with the Faculty that taught the unit.
There is a formal process to apply for a review of results through each Faculty Committee within 5 working days from the date of official notification of the results for a unit.
Each Faculty has a Committee which will consider these applications and will normally only approve an application for a review where the student provides evidence that their work was not marked in accordance with the marking criteria or that there was a misapplication of other relevant University policies or procedures.
Academic Reviews, if granted, are conducted by an independent marker who was not involved in the marking originally. Your application must include grounds for a review and cannot challenge academic judgement.
How to apply
You can apply for a review of your results within 5 working days from the date of official notification of the results for a unit.
It is your responsibility to provide sufficient evidence and documentation to justify your request. Incomplete applications or ones lacking grounds will be rejected.
Please note that:
- This process does not give you feedback on your performance.
- If your final mark was under 50, your work has already been double-marked and the Faculty Committee asserts that your final result is correct unless there is clear evidence of a mistake.
- Approved Academic Review applications will also ensure that all of your marks have been included and added up correctly.
- You cannot use this process to apply to waive a late penalty or retrospectively apply for special consideration.
- There is no fee charged to request a review of your results.
The Faculty Committee will only approve an application for a review where you provide evidence that your work was not marked in accordance with the marking criteria or that there was a misapplication of other relevant University policies or procedures.
Examples of reasons that will not be accepted are listed below:
- I only need 1 or 2 marks to pass
- I don't think the rubric was used correctly/I should have received more marks for question X
- This is the final unit of my degree
- I was not feeling well during the exam
- I studied hard/well and think I deserve more
- I thought I did well enough to pass
- My friend wrote the same/similar answers in their exam and they passed
- A family member or friend was sick
- I answered all questions in the exam and thought I answered well
- I did very well on my assignments and I don't understand why I failed
- Challenging academic judgement on the marking of an assessment item is not considered appropriate grounds for a review to be granted.
Ensure you have provided adequate reasons as to why your current result is not accurate / should be amended, and attach relevant documentation to your application. Not only must your reason/s be adequate, you will need to provide evidence to demonstrate that a review is justified.
In an Administrative Review, if an error has been identified, an amendment to your result will occur.
If an Academic review is granted and the result is different, an amendment will occur and this may be higher or lower than the original result. You cannot challenge this result further and no further appeals will be considered.
If you have received a fail grade between 40 and 49 in a unit which is the final unit required for course completion, you should speak to your Student Adviser about whether you may be eligible for a Pass Conceded (PC) grade or supplementary assessment in the unit. Each Faculty will have a separate process to consider Final Unit to Complete.
Applications for review will be considered in accordance with University policies and procedures.
This process is pursuant to Regulation 5.3(1) Assessment and Academic Progress in Higher Education Award Courses (section 4) (PDF, 42.2KB) and Assessment (Higher Education Courses) Procedure (sections 77 – 85)
Ready to apply?
To follow the correct process, select the correct Faculty for the unit you are applying for, not the faculty of your course.
If your assessment has been failed as a result of an Academic Integrity matter you are ineligible to apply for a Review of Results for that assessment.
Given the complex nature of some reviews it is not possible to stipulate a turnaround time for applications.
For any enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact email@example.com if you have any concerns or enquiries.
Complete the Faculty of Health Review of Results application form
You may apply directly to the Unit Chair of the unit for an Administrative Review.
For Academic Review, you must provide sufficient and substantiated reasons for your application. If your final mark was under 50, your work has already been double-marked and the Faculty Committee asserts that your final result is correct unless there is clear evidence of a mistake.
For any enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For Micro-credential review of result, please email StackableLearning@deakin.edu.au.