Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Fund your placement or study abroad experience

Undertaking a Work Integrated Learning unit doesn't need to break the bank. Grants, loans and scholarship are available.

Fund your placement or study abroad experience

You could be eligible for financial assistance to help with the costs associated with undertaking an internship or global learning experience. There are a number of faculty grants, loans and scholarship opportunities to help you get where you want to go.

Funding options

Arts & Education Internship Grants are faculty funded payments for Arts students who are in need of financial assistance to access and complete an approved credit-bearing Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience.

This funding is available to:

  • Current Deakin Faculty of Arts and Education students, approved and enrolled in one of the following WIL units: ACC317/318/320, APE201/202, AWL203/300, AIS330/331, ACC700, APE700/701
  • Domestic and International Students
  • Students who have not yet completed all internship hours at the time of grant application
  • Students who can demonstrate financial need

Grants are subject to availability and are awarded up to $500 for located internship arrangements (where students undertake an internship locally or online), and up to $1,000 for relocated internship arrangements (where students are relocating and incurring accommodation expenses to attend their internship). If you are undertaking a relocated internship experience you will be required to provide relocating evidence and expenses.

Awarded grants are determined according to; responses in the internship grant application, individual internship arrangements, and average costs involved in undertaking your internship.

Please note, if you have received a New Colombo Plan (NCP) Grant for an internship or program you are not eligible for the ArtsEd Internship Grant for that same internship or program.

Apply for an Faculty of Arts and Education Internship Grant

The Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Student Support Scheme is an equity initiative funded by the Commonwealth Government via the Higher Education Participation and Partnership Program (HEPPP).

This helps increase WIL access, participation and success of Domestic Undergraduate students from low socio-economic status (SES) backgrounds, regional and remote areas, and Indigenous persons. You could receive support to help you with expenses related to your placement.

The application process is highly competitive with a limited number of offers available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.

See the following website for full eligibility criteria, key dates, and to apply.

Find out more about the WIL Student Support Scheme

OS-HELP funding is provided by the Department of Education and administered by Deakin University.

OS-HELP is a loan designed to assist eligible Undergraduate and Postgraduate Domestic, Commonwealth supported students, based in Australia, to undertake some of their study overseas.

If eligible, you can apply for a Government loan to help pay travel expenses, such as airfares, accommodation, and other travel expenses, so you can complete part of your studies overseas. Students should apply for an OS-HELP Loan as soon as they receive an offer into a suitable program and have enrolled.

See the following website for full eligibility criteria, loan amounts and to apply.

Find out more about the OS-HELP Loan

Deakin Scholarships

Find a scholarship that works for you. Whether it’s recognition of your academic achievements or helping you overcome disadvantages, a Deakin scholarship can help transform your life and your future.

Search the Deakin scholarships website

General Loans

The University provides interest-free student loans, for study-related expenses, to students who are in financial need and are progressing satisfactorily with their studies.

Currently enrolled undergraduate, postgraduate, off-campus, full time and part-time students in an award course are eligible to apply.

Find out more on the student loans website

Contact us

If you have any questions, contact the ArtsEd Work Integrated Learning team.