How do I apply for a Visa extension?

You can apply for a further student visa in Australia if your current visa is not subject to a No Further Stay condition and you hold a pre-qualifying visa.

Undergraduate or postgraduate coursework students

Step 1:

Obtain a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) using the online request form.

Step 2:

Please note, your OSHC is not automatically extended with your COE extension. You must contact your OSHC provider to organise an extension.

Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy until the expiry date of your new student visa. If you have OSHC provided by Bupa, contact them directly to extend your policy.

Step 3:

Prepare your supporting documentation. Use the Document Checklist Tool to check what documentation you need to attach to your application. This may include:

Step 4:

Apply online to the Department of Home Affairs. You will be applying for a Student Visa subclass 500 visa.

You can submit an application yourself, or use a registered migration agent.

Important note

When should I renew my visa?

  • You must hold a valid student visa while studying in Australia.
  • You will need to renew your visa if:
    • you cannot complete your course before the visa expiry date, or
    • you have submitted your postgraduate research thesis, or
    • you are going to commence a new course of study
  • Apply to renew your student visa at least 6 to 8 weeks before it expires.

After you lodge your application

The Department of Home Affairs will send you an acknowledgement letter along with a copy of a bridging visa (for applicants in Australia only).

While your application is being assessed you should:

  • Check the Health Assessment tab in your ImmiAccount to see if health examinations are required.
  • Check your nominated email account regularly for correspondence from the Department of Home Affairs regarding the status of your application.

Refund policy

You should be aware of the tuition fee refund policy

If you need to submit a Refund of Fees in Special Circumstances application, please note that you must do so even if you haven’t paid (all) your fees yet. You risk being reported for non-payment of fees to the Department of Home Affairs if you have not applied for a remission of debt and this could have a negative effect on any future visa applications.

For further queries or help please contact Student Central

Last updated:
Page custodian: Deakin International