Enrolment codes and terminology

Here are the explanations you need to help make sense of the University vocabulary.

Enrolment terminology


Abstudy is a partial income support payment for Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. Find out more at Abstudy.

Campus mode

This refers to a course or unit where the dominant mode of delivery is through attendance at classes at a Deakin campus, centre, affiliated industry or other physical site. Within a Campus unit, there are classes and seminars which students attend.


Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number.


Often held in a lecture theatre and involves information being presented to students, usually by an academic staff member and often with some level of student participation. Generally you do not need to timetable yourself into classes.

Community-Based Delivery (CBD)

CBD courses and units, like Deakin's National Indigenous Knowledges Education Research Innovation (NIKERI) Institute, combine on and off-campus teaching to help Indigenous Australian students undertake their studies without missing any family or community obligations.

Computer standards

Deakin recommends computer standards which you should check to ensure you can make the most out of your learning experience.

Contact hours

'Contact hours' and 'Study commitment' are detailed in a 'Unit Guide' which is provided for every unit.

  • Contact hours provide the number of hours, classes, seminars and online learning experiences scheduled for Campus and Online students, usually each week.
  • Study commitment gives an indication of the hours over a trimester a student could be expected to spend in teaching, learning and assessment for a unit.

Unit Guides can be found on CloudDeakin through DeakinSync.

Core unit

These are units which you must complete in order to meet the requirements of your course. Not all courses have core units (eg. Bachelor of Arts), and some courses will be made up almost entirely of core units (eg. Bachelor of Nursing). Your course rules and core units (if any) will be provided in the University Handbook.


The overall degree you are enrolled in, eg. Bachelor of Arts.

Course guides

Course rules can be accessed online through the Deakin handbook.

Co-requisite units

If a unit description in the University Handbook has a co-requisite unit, it means you must have already completed, or will complete the co-requisite unit at the same time (same study period) as the unit you want to enrol in.

Credit point

A credit point is a measure of your course workload. A full time student's normal workload during a trimester is 3-4 credit points. Most students will study 4 credit points per trimester if they want to use only trimester 1 and 2 to complete their degree in a timely manner. A unit of study commonly has a value of 1 or 2 credit points.

Credit transfer and recognition

See Credit for prior learning.

Discontinuation of course

If you are considering discontinuing your course, first seek advice or counselling a Student Adviser and staff within Student Life. If you decide to discontinue, please complete the online discontinuation process via StudentConnect. Visit the Intermit or discontinue website.


Equivalent Full-Time Student Load.


An elective can be any unit that does not have a restriction on it and one that your course allows you to do.  In an undergraduate course you can only choose undergraduate units as electives. Speak with a Student Adviser about any units you are interested to find out if you can fit it into your course.


A restriction placed on a student's enrolment for breaching specified due dates or conditions relating to matters such as academic progress, enrolment fees, library loans, residential fees or student loans. Encumbrances limit students' access to services provided by the University. Such encumbrances may block provision of a range of important services such as library access, result release, re-enrolment, variation to enrolment and graduation.

Exchange programs

Deakin has a number of exchange programs for students to study overseas, whether coming from overseas to study at Deakin or a Deakin student heading overseas to study.

If you want to study at Deakin as an exchange or study abroad student in Australia, find out more at our study abroad and exchange website.

If you are a Deakin student wanting to study overseas, find out more at our Deakin Abroad website.


Australian Government loan program to help eligible domestic fee paying students pay their tuition fees. Fee-Higher Education Loan Program. Visit our Government HELP Schemes website.

Full-time study

To be considered a full time student by the University and Centrelink, you need to be enrolled in at least three units (or 3 credit points) in a trimester. However, 4 credit points in a trimester is the usual full time load when attempting to complete a course as efficiently as possible.


Australian Government loan program to help eligible Commonwealth supported students to pay their student contribution amounts. Higher Education Contribution Scheme, Higher Education Loan Program. Visit our Government HELP Schemes website.

ID Card

Your ID card at Deakin is called a Deakin Card. Your Deakin Card is not only your ID but is required at exams, library and access cards, plus you can load money onto your card for printing and paying for campus purchases. More information can be found on our Deakin Card website.


An approved break in your studies. Visit the Intermit or discontinue website.

Invalid units

If you fail a pre-requisite or co-requisite unit or fail to meet special requirements for a unit, the unit in question will become 'Invalid'. For more information about invalid units and rule breaches, visit the Rule breaches website.

Major Sequence

A group of related units approved by the Faculty Board and listed in the University Handbook amounting to a minimum of 6 credit points, with at least 2 credit points in each of levels 2 and 3 of the course.


A group of related units approved by a faculty board and listed in the handbook taken over two levels and amounting to a minimum of four credit points.


This is where the dominant mode of delivery is through the University's online environment. There may or may not be compulsory contact hours online. In some units, students may be required to attend an event such as an exam or an assessment at a designated physical site.

This was formally referred to as 'Cloud Campus', 'off-campus' or 'cloud (online)' study.


Overseas Higher Education Loan Program. Visit our Government HELP Schemes website.

Overseas study

Deakin has a number of exchange programs for students to study overseas, whether coming from overseas to study at Deakin or a Deakin student heading overseas to study.

If you want to study at Deakin as an exchange or study abroad student in Australia, find out more at our study abroad and exchange website.

If you are a Deakin student wanting to study overseas, find out more at our Deakin Abroad website.

Part-time study

A part time study load is 1 or 2 credit points in a trimester. You should consider the time it will take you to complete your course if you chose to study part time.

Prerequisite units

If a unit has a 'prerequisite unit', you must have successfully completed that prerequisite unit/s before you study in the unit with the prerequisite. If a unit has a prerequisite, it will be detailed in the University Handbook.

Recognition of prior learning (RPL)

Credit granted for relevant prior learning (including formal informal and non-formal learning).

If you have studied at post-secondary level before, or have relevant work or life experience, you may be eligible for credit transfer or recognition (credit for prior learning).  This means you may not have to complete a unit if you've completed something very similar at the same level before, or you may get general credit and therefore not have to complete an elective. Further information is available on the Recognition of Prior Learning website.


Each year you will be sent information about how and when to re-enrol for the next year. You must re-enrol to maintain your place at Deakin.

Refunds and remission of debt

In special circumstances, if you withdraw from your studies or reduce your enrolment load after the relevant census dates, you can apply to have certain fees and payments re-credited or refunded. There are strict guidelines for remission of debt, so it is important you seek advice from your Faculty.

Find out more on the Fees website.


The Student Amenities Higher Education Loan Program is a loan scheme that allows eligible students to defer all or part of the cost of the Student Services and Amenities Fee. Visit our Government HELP Schemes website.


There are some courses that operate over two semesters each year.  The first runs from February to June, the second from July to November.


An interactive meeting for smaller groups of students that is part of the course structure, formerly known as a tutorial.  You need to timetable yourself into seminars after you have enrolled.


Student Timetable Allocation and Registration. The online system used to create your on campus class timetable. Visit the STAR website.

Student Adviser

A Student Adviser can help students with unit selection. Students should contact a Student Adviser before varying enrolment to make sure the course and unit rules are being followed.

Find out more at DeakinSync under help & feedback or go to Student Central webpage.


StudentConnect is an online administration portal which allows access to student enrolment and update your personal details.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

A fee that higher education providers can charge their students for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature, such as sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, child care, financial advice and food services. Eligible students can defer payment of this fee through SA-HELP. Visit the SSAF website for more info.

Study abroad

At Deakin students can take part in overseas exchange, study abroad, international internship or volunteering opportunities. Study overseas can be for a few weeks, a trimester or a year as part of a degree.

Find out more at DeakinSync under Studying or go directly to Deakin Abroad.

Study Assist

Study Assist is a Government website which provides information for students about government assistance for financing tertiary study.

Sub-major (see minor)

A group of related units approved by a faculty board and listed in the Handbook, taken over two levels and amounting to a minimum of four credit points.  Sub-majors are not included on academic transcripts or testamurs.  Also referred to as a minor.


There are a range of circumstances (for example, non-payment of a fee, academic performance, breach of the Student Code of Conduct etc), in which your enrolment will be terminated. You will lose access to all Deakin services including CloudDeakin, email, StudentConnect and the Library. Further information can be found in the Fees and charges guide on the Fees website.


Deakin uses STAR (Student Timetable Allocation and Registration) for timetables, which is a personalised timetabling system that allows students in campus based units to register online for classes and seminars etc. Visit the STAR website.


At Deakin there are three trimesters (a study period). Trimester 1 runs from February to July; Trimester 2 runs from July to November; Trimester 3 runs from November to February.  Generally, to undertake your course full time, you would study 4 units in Trimester 1 and 2. Trimesters allow great flexibility though, and you could always spread your load throughout the three trimesters and give you time for work or other responsibilities outside uni.


A component of study. In school you may have called these subjects.

Unit guide

A reference for students providing specific information or instruction about a unit.

University Handbook

The University Handbook is the official source of information on your course and each unit that we are offering in a particular year.


Formal termination by a student of enrolment in a unit or course other than by intermission. Visit the Intermit or discontinue website.

Withdrawing from study

If you are considering withdrawing from study, you may find it helpful to talk with staff before you make your final decision. A personal counsellor, language and learning adviser or your unit chair will all be able to provide confidential advice.


Find out more at DeakinSync under Enrolment, fees and money/visas or Intermit or discontinue.

Withdrawing units

If you want to change your enrolment you need to do so via StudentConnect, which you can access from the top menu bar within DeakinSync. Check the Handbook as changes to enrolment must be in keeping with relevant course and unit rules, so it is best to discuss this with a Student Adviser before making changes. Enrolment variations may also result in a change of fees.

Find out more at DeakinSync under Enrolment, fees and money or go directly to Change your enrolment details.


Unit codes

The unit code structure for most standard units is 3 letters followed by 3 digits. For example, MAE201.

The first lettering in a standard unit code indicates which faculty the unit belongs to.

First LetterFaculty
A and E Faculty of Arts and Education
H Faculty of Heath
Faculty of Business and Law
S Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

The second and third letters are used to identify the school or discipline area within the Faculty.

The first digit generally tells you the level of the unit.

Unit LevelLevel Description
0 A unit of study with a standard less than level 1, or units with zero credit points
1 First year undergraduate
2 Second year undergraduate
3 Third year undergraduate
4Fourth year undergraduate, first year graduate entry Bachelor or Honours
5Fifth year undergraduate or second year graduate entry Bachelor
8Masters by research unit

For example, MAE201 means the unit is from the Faculty of Business and Law, in the Department of Economics, it is a level 2 Bachelor degree unit and the '01' is the subject number within the school.

Level 6 for Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma is no longer being used.

Campus codes

In StudentConnect, course maps, the University Handbook and other publications, we usually abbreviate the campus names. Here is what they mean.

B Melbourne Burwood Campus
G Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
S Geelong Waterfront Campus
W Warrnambool Campus

Unit modes

Each unit has a delivery mode. Usually this indicates if the unit is offered online or at a Campus, and of course, a few variations of that. Here are the main ones you'll see.

AbbreviationUnit Mode
CBDCommunity Based Delivery for the National Indigenous Knowledges Education Research Innovation (NIKERI) Institute
D Campus mode (day)
D-INTENSCampus intensive mode
D-INTLCampus mode (day) for international students
E Campus mode (evening)
ONL-DOnline unit for campus-based students
ONL-INTENSOnline intensive mode
ONL-XOnline unit for off-campus based students
X or ONL-XOnline
X-OSOverseas study
X-BLOCKTaught face-to-face in intensive blocks during trimester

Enrolment help videos

An introduction to Deakin key enrolment terms and systems

An overview of Deakin important dates

Overview of common enrolment terminology

Video text transcripts

Last updated:
Page custodian: Student Services