Reduced Study Load

How do I apply for a reduced study load?

You can contact Student Central to discuss a reduced study load application. Your application will need to be based on compassionate and compelling grounds. These could include, but are not limited to:

  • serious illness or injury, where a medical certificate states that it is impracticable for the student to complete the unit or course requirements;
  • bereavement of a close family member such as parents or grandparents (where possible a death certificate should be provided)
  • major political upheaval or natural disaster in home country requiring emergency travel which has impacted on the student’s studies
  • a traumatic experience which could include involvement in, or witnessing of a serious accident; or witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime, where this has impacted on the student (these cases should be supported by police or psychologists’ reports).

You must provide evidence on how your circumstances have affected, or will affect, your academic performance if you undertake a full-time study load. In order to assess these circumstances, you are required to complete the Reduced Study Load supporting documents form (PDF, 295.2KB) and return it via reply email. This form must be submitted as a digital and editable PDF with:

  • Sections A and B are for applications based on medical and/or psychological grounds (Section B to be completed by a medical or health professional)
  • Sections A and C are for applications based on non-medical grounds (noting addition supporting documentation/evidence of situation and impact will also need to be submitted)

If the issue is of an ongoing nature, we encourage you to contact the Disability Resource Centre for more specific arrangements and support.

A reduced study load application does not guarantee approval. You must maintain your enrolment and continue participating with your studies, where possible, until an outcome is provided.

Can I reduce my study load in T3 2022?

You can spread your units during three trimesters subject to availability of units. You must follow your course plan provided by the Student Adviser. Trimester 3 is usually not compulsory unless it is a specified requirement of your degree or it is your commencing Trimester.

If you have commenced your course in trimester 3, this is a compulsory trimester for you. If you plan to reduce your study load, you must discuss your plan with a Student Adviser at Student Central for approval and to obtain a new course plan.

For continuing international students, usually Trimester 3 is not a compulsory study period unless it is required under your course structure. If Trimester 3 is not a compulsory requirement for your course, you are not required to enrol in Trimester 3 but you need to ensure to follow your course plan and complete your course by the course end date specified on your CoE. If you are required to reduce your study load due to compassionate and compelling circumstances, you must seek approved by a Student Adviser at Student Central and obtain a new course plan.

Do I have to apply for intermission if I am not studying in T3?

For continuing international students, usually Trimester 3 is not a compulsory study period unless it is compulsory requirement of your course structure therefore you are not required to apply for an intermission. However, if Trimester 3 is compulsory in your course structure or you have commenced your course in Trimester 3, this becomes a compulsory trimester for you therefore you are required to apply for an intermission.

Your intermission will only be approved if there are compassionate and compelling circumstances, beyond your control. If you want to apply for intermission, you should discuss your request with a Student Adviser at Student Central for further information.

For further information and how to apply intermission please refer to

I am not on a Student visa but on a different type of temporary resident visa, can I reduce my study load?

If you are on a TR visa such as a temporary graduate visa, you do not have the same study restrictions as a student on a student visa (subclass 500).

You are considered an international student for fee purposes only and you can reduce your study load in all 3 trimesters. Please keep in mind, reducing your study load may result in you taking longer to complete your course.

Students should ensure they meet the visa conditions outlined in their visa grant notice at all times. You can check your visa conditions on your VEVO account or by downloading the myVEVO app.

Please feel free to view the Visa FAQs.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Deakin International