Apply for cross-institutional study

If you are a continuing student at Deakin University you may apply to study units offered at another Australian tertiary institution and have them credited to your Deakin University degree

If you are a student from another institution, visit the cross-institutional study webpage.

Seek prior approval

You need to seek approval from the host institution. Enquire with them as early as possible to ensure you meet their application deadlines. Check for details such as fee arrangements.

You must also seek prior approval from the relevant faculty before applying to study units if you hope to have them credited to your degree.

Restrictions to consider

Normally Deakin will only approve units for cross-institutional study if they (or an equivalent) are not offered by Deakin University. Each application is assessed individually. Online students generally cannot study units from another university in their first year of enrolment.

If you already have credit for prior learning

If you have entered your course with credit for prior learning you may find that there are restrictions on the number of cross-institutional units you can study. Check with a Student Adviser.

How to apply

Apply by submitting a cross institutional enrolment form which is available from Student Central to Deakin along with all relevant documents. You may apply for units in more than one trimester on the application form.

If you apply for only one trimester and subsequently want to take additional units, you need to submit a new application form for the additional units.

If you wish to study at more than one institution you need to complete a form for each institution. Include a copy of the syllabus (handbook entry) of the unit you wish to study.

Complete the cross-institutional enrolment form with your Student Adviser.

You should be aware that approval from Deakin to study a cross-institutional unit does not guarantee a place at your desired host institution.

Application closing dates

Each institution has a different closing date for applications.  Check for these dates as early as possible to avoid missing a place.

You must also submit your Deakin cross institutional enrolment form by the ‘Last day to add a unit’ for that study period. Check the Important Dates to find that date for your study period.

Fee arrangements

Due to limited places available in some units, it may not always be possible to receive the same fee type at the host institution as you receive at Deakin.

You will usually need to provide evidence of your current funding arrangements with Deakin. You can produce your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN) from within StudentConnect.

If eligible you must complete a new Commonwealth Assistance Form with the other institution so you can receive HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP.  Your Deakin arrangements will not be transferred to the other institution.

Withdrawing from a unit

If you wish to withdraw from a cross-institutional unit you must:

  • Withdraw from the unit by using an enrolment variation form (PDF, 243.1KB)
  • Inform the host institution that you are withdrawing from the unit. This must be done according to their deadlines using the procedure they use.

Failure to notify both Deakin and the host institution according to each of their deadlines may result in a financial liability.

Providing your results to Deakin

Results from cross-institutional enrolment at other institutions will be recorded on Deakin University academic records as EP (External Institution Pass) or EN (External Institution Fail).

To appear on your record, results must be received by Deakin by the required deadline. Please refer to the Handbook for these deadlines.

Once you receive your results, you need to provide your results to Deakin via Student Central by one of the following methods;

  • dropping into a Student Central hub on the Campus with your original transcript
  • posting the original transcript or a certified copy of the transcript to Student Central.
  • forward your results via My eQuals (ensuring it is digitally certified with the blue banner at the top of the pdf).

We do not accept scanned copies via email. For information on certifying documents, refer to certified document services at Deakin or the Victorian Department of Justice and Regulation to find a Justice of the Peace.

Failure to provide your results in time may result in a fail grade and have graduation implications.

Undertaking your final unit through cross-institutional study and graduating

In situations where students undertake their final unit of study cross institutionally there may be a delay in their attendance at a graduation ceremony due to conflicting results release dates from various universities. In these cases by proceeding with the cross institutional enrolment students are acknowledging they will need to attend the next available ceremony.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Student Services