Plan your course
Putting time into planning your units and course will make enrolling easier. Take a look at how your course is structured and the information that will help you plan.
Find your course entry in the University Handbook
The University Handbook is the official source of information on your course and each unit that we are offering in a particular year.
- Generally, you need to follow the course rules in the Handbook for the year you commenced your course.
- Look up your course. All courses at Deakin require you to complete a fixed number of credit points.
- There may be compulsory core units, or you may need to choose units as electives or majors.
- Become familiar with your course rules and requirements. Make sure you refer back to and follow these course rules to ensure you can progress within your course.
- When considering units to choose, check if there are prerequisite units that you have to study first.
Develop your course map
Course maps are a visual tool that can help you understand the structure and rules of a course. Most courses will also have a course map in the course entry on the Handbook.
- The course map provides an overview of the units required to complete your course, the suggested sequence of unit level and study period and course rules.
What is next?
Now that you know what you need to study, you need to enrol on the online enrolment system StudentConnect.
- How to enrol - Find our more about using StudentConnect.
- Enrolment codes and terminology - information to help make sense of a whole new University vocabulary.
Here are some videos to help you understand courses and enrolment at Deakin.
Introduction to enrolment
Key times and dates
Planning your enrolment
Understanding unit codes
If you need more help, you can contact a Student Adviser at Student Central or through our online enquiry form. They are there to help with course planning, choosing the right units and explaining course rules and requirements.
Managing your enrolment
Here are other enrolment pages which you'll need to refer to sometimes once you are enrolled.