If you wish to seek an extension for an assessment, you will need to apply via the Assessment Extension Request link under the Tools menu in your unit site via DeakinSync. Your request will be forwarded to your Unit Chair for consideration.
This needs to occur as soon as you become aware that you will have difficulty in meeting the due date. A request for an extension should be submitted before the due date.
You must provide a reason for the extension. Conditions under which an extension will normally be considered include:
- Medical – to cover medical conditions of a serious nature, e.g. hospitalisation, serious injury or chronic illness.
- Note: temporary minor ailments such as headaches, colds and minor gastric upsets are not serious medical conditions and are unlikely to be accepted. However serious cases of these may be considered. If providing a medical certificate, the Deakin medical certificate is preferred.
- Compassionate – e.g. death of a close family member, significant family and relationship problems
- Hardship/Trauma – e.g. sudden loss or gain of employment, severe disruption to domestic arrangements, victim of crime.
Note: misreading the due date, assignment anxiety or returning home will not be accepted as grounds for consideration.
Penalties for late submission
The following marking penalties will apply if you submit an assessment task after the due date without an approved extension: 5% will be deducted from available marks for each day up to five days. Work that is submitted more than five days after the due date will not be marked; you will receive 0% for the task. 'Day' means working day for paper submissions and calendar day for electronic submissions. The Unit Chair may refuse to accept a late submission where it is unreasonable or impracticable to assess the task after the due date. It is important that you check any assignment instructions carefully to see if late submissions are impracticable to assess and will not be marked.
How to apply
Please apply via the Assessment Extension Request link under the Tools menu in your unit site.
You should articulate your progress in completing the assignment and specify the length of extension you are seeking (maximum of 2 weeks).
Unit Chairs may only provide extensions of up to a maximum of 2 weeks. For extensions of more than 2 weeks students are required to apply for Special Consideration.
It is not always necessary for you to provide documentary evidence, in order to receive an extension. If you are unsure if such evidence might be required, you can ask for that to be clarified when you submit your request. Alternatively, the teaching staff member considering your request will inform you of any documentation they may require in order to respond to your extension request.
If you or your family are affected by COVID-19 pandemic and you want to apply for an assignment extension or for special consideration, please read below:
- Assignment extensions - extensions of up to 2 weeks will be approved without the requirement for supporting documentation, but must include a rationale for the request.
- Unit Chairs may request further information.
- If you are seeking an assignment extension of longer than 2 weeks - then please apply for Special consideration through the normal process. A simplified process will apply.