IMPORTANT: In 2023 there is a change to Deakin's Assessment (higher education courses) procedure. This change impacts assignment or assessment extensions and special consideration. Assignment extensions can be granted up to 7 calendar days.
Submitting your assignment
Assignments are submitted online via your unit site in most circumstances. Please see your Unit Guide for submission instructions, word limits and assignment requirements. If you are still unsure, contact your Unit Chair or speak to a Student Adviser via Student Central. For information on submitting your assignments online, read through the Help guide on Assignments.
The assignment due date is the last day on which your assignment must reach your faculty or be submitted via your unit site.
Deakin has a universal submission time of 8pm (AEST/AEDT as applicable) for all online assignment submissions. Late penalties will be applied for submissions received after 11.59pm on the due date.
Penalties for late submission
The following marking penalties will apply if you submit an assessment task after the due date - without an approved extension:
- 5% of the total marks of the task is deducted for each new calendar day up to 7 calendar days.
- Work submitted more than 7 calendar days after the due date will not be marked and you will receive 0% for the task.
If unexpected circumstances beyond your control will prevent you from submitting an assignment by the due date, you should request an assignment extension.
Requests should be submitted before the assignment is due when you realise you will have difficulty meeting the due date/time. It is important to note that making a request for an extension does not guarantee that this request will be granted. Assignment extensions can be granted up to 7 calendar days. Students requiring a longer extension or who cannot request an extension by the due date should apply for special consideration.
Please note: Students with an DRC Access Plan and/or using NIKERII Student Support services, additional reasonable adjustments to extensions between seven and up to fourteen days may be granted by the Unit Chair.
Submitting an assignment extension request
Extension Requests can be submitted within your unit site in the ‘Assessment’ tab as soon as you are aware there will be an issue with meeting the deadline.
You are required to provide a valid reason for the extension and the length of time you are seeking for the extension and in most cases you will be required to supply supporting documentation about the difficulties you are facing and evidence of the work you have completed so far.
Conditions under which an extension will normally be considered include:
- Medical – to cover medical conditions of a serious nature, e.g., hospitalisation, serious injury or chronic illness. Temporary minor ailments, such as headaches, colds and minor gastric upsets are unlikely to be accepted
- Compassionate – e.g., death of a close family member, significant family and/or relationship problems
- Hardship/Trauma – e.g., sudden loss of employment, severe disruption to domestic arrangements or a victim of crime.
Conditions under which an extension will not normally be considered include:
- misreading timetables, submitting an assessment incorrectly or late
- poor time management or holidays
- minor ailments (such as colds or sleeplessness
- technical or computer issues are not grounds to request an assignment extension.
View our academic skills guides to get assistance.
Testing COVID-19 positive
Deakin has adopted a university-wide position that any student impacted by a positive result for COVID-19 can seek an assignment extension of up to 7 days. You must provide supplementary evidence, such as:
- evidence of positive PCR test or
- a recording of a positive rapid antigen test (RAT) in your relevant state. If you're in Victoria, visit the Victorian Government’s reporting your RAT result site.
This evidence can be loaded into the extension request form.
You should apply for special consideration if:
- you were unable to apply for an extension before the assignment due date/time
- rescheduling is impractical, or
- you have requested an extension of more than 7 calendar days.
Has your assignment been received?
When the assignment has been successfully submitted online, you should receive a confirmation email. If you did not receive a confirmation email (please check your junk mail), you should contact your Unit Chair.