Academic progress

Keeping on top of your course progress is essential to completing your course requirements. Deakin offers services, advice and assistance to help students maintain satisfactory academic progress and graduate.

Deakin reviews all students’ academic progress each study period, but it’s important that you keep on top of your own progress too. If you are failing assessments and/or don’t feel that you are doing as well as you could, please seek help. Your lecturer, unit chair, Student Advisers and the Study support team can give you advice and support to help you reach your academic potential.

When will Deakin intervene?

Deakin will offer support and guidance if your academic progress is considered to be at risk.

You are considered to be at risk where you have:

  • failed a compulsory unit for the first time; or
  • failed 50% or more units in the last study period; or
  • it is apparent that you are unlikely to complete your course within the maximum period of study

Deakin may decide to implement an intervention strategy if your academic progress is considered to be unsatisfactory.

Unsatisfactory academic progress is where you have:

  • failed at least 50% of credit points in each of the two preceding study period; or
  • failed a compulsory unit twice; or *failed a compulsory practicum or placement; or
  • it is apparent that you cannot complete your course within the maximum period of study; or
  • will not complete your course within the maximum period of study; or
  • you have not met the conditions placed on your enrolment in a previous study period

How long have I got to complete my course?

The maximum time allowed to complete your course or the Maximum Period of Study, is the time that may be taken by a student to complete a course (excluding approved intermission periods).

The formula for Maximum Period of Study takes into account the importance of currency in knowledge and seeks to be fair to all students.

The formula to calculate the Maximum Period of Study is 2n + 1u (not including periods of intermission)  where:

  • 'n' is the number of years or trimesters taken to complete the course when undertaking a full-time load (a full-time load is normally 8 credit points per year)
  • 'u' is the length of time taken to complete one unit of study (usually a study period or a year).

For example, if your course can be typically completed in 3 years of full time study - your maximum period of study would be 3 years + another 3 years + 1 study period or 1 year equalling 6.5 or 7 years to complete your course.

Students that are permitted to study part time for the duration of their course and some postgraduate students could have up to 10 years, depending on their individual circumstances. The University, through its Faculty Boards may increase the maximum period of study for a course and Faculty Boards may also vary this period for an individual student.

If you have any concerns you will exceed the maximum period of study, you should contact your Faculty team below.

What happens if I have unsatisfactory academic progress?

If you meet one or more of the above criteria, your Faculty or School may impose one of the interventions below to help you achieve your academic potential. You may receive:

  • a notification and a letter of support
  • a condition on your enrolment
  • an exclusion from your course
  • and recommendations on how to improve your academic performance.

Before your Faculty or School imposes one of the interventions on you, it will send you a letter:

  • telling you that your academic progress was unsatisfactory; and
  • inviting you to explain (show cause) why you have not been doing well in your studies.

It is very important that you carefully read this letter and seek help and advice from your faculty secretary and DUSA advocacy service.

Your Faculty or School will consider all the information before deciding on the appropriate intervention for you. The Faculty or School will give you its decision in writing. It is very important that you read this letter carefully.

If you do not respond to the Faculty's letter and explain your situation, this means that you accept the decision and have forfeited your right to appeal.

Can I appeal the academic progress decision?

You can appeal your Faculty or School's intervention decision, if eligible, to the University Appeals Committee. You can only appeal if you think:

  • there was a misapplication of the process resulting in disadvantage to you
  • the decision was manifestly wrong
  • the outcome imposed was manifestly excessive, inappropriate or not available in the circumstances
  • you have new evidence that was not known or available at the time of the original decision.

The outcome letter from the Faculty or School setting out their decision has more information about how to appeal so it is very important that you read the letter carefully. If you do not understand the letter or want more information about how to appeal contact:

Where can I get support for my academic progress?

The Supporting your academic progress flyer (PDF, 195.55 KB) provides information about the various free services at Deakin that can assist you.

For more information about unsatisfactory academic progress

Please read the Academic Progress procedure or contact:

Faculty of Arts and Education

+61 (3) 9244 5082

Further Arts and Education FAPIC Information

Faculty of Business and Law

+61 (3) 9244 6555

Faculty of Health

+61 (3) 9244 5532

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

+61 (3) 5227 8724

University Appeals Committee

Deakin University Student Association advocacy service

+61 (3) 9246 8615
Online contact:

Last updated:
Page custodian: Office of the DVC (Education)