How to enrol
StudentConnect is where you enrol in your course and choose your units. This page will show you how.
Are you ready?
It's easier if you have planned your course using the University Handbook and a course map. If you need more info on those, visit the Plan your course website. There are a few steps in the online enrolment process and it may take up to 30 minutes.
Make sure you enrol by the date in your offer email and finalise your units as soon as possible. There are cut off dates for enrolment.
How to enrol in StudentConnect
When you go into StudentConnect you must complete all the steps for your enrolment to be valid, be sure to go through to the end, hit FINISH ENROLLING and get a confirmation number. The confirmation ensures you have successfully enrolled. If you don't see a confirmation number, check that you've completed all steps below, or contact Student Central.
The steps for enrolling in StudentConnect are configured to the type of place, your fee arrangements and your course. In general they are:
- Agreeing to the ‘Terms and conditions’ of enrolment at Deakin University
- Adding/confirming your details
- Personal Profile/Course Details
- Your preferred Name and Address
- Statistics about you - Government stats
- Unique Student Identifier (USI) - for domestic students to confirm their Commonwealth supported place (CSP) if applicable, and to apply for HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or OS-HELP (as applicable). You’ll need to have your USI ready.
- Commonwealth Assistance Form - for domestic students to confirm their Commonwealth supported place (CSP) if applicable, and to apply for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP (as applicable). You’ll need to have your Tax File Number ready.
- SA-HELP to defer the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) - eligible domestic students only
- Your enrolment
- Major, minor or specialisation selection (which will only appear if required for your course).
- Unit enrolment (to search, add, change or withdraw from a unit).
- Finalise enrolment – Here’s where you hit FINISH ENROLLING
- Receive a confirmation number on the screen to complete your enrolment.
What does enrolment look like in StudentConnect?
How to enrol for International students for Trimester 3 2020
Stuck on a step? Here is more detail.
Log in to StudentConnect
- Log in to StudentConnect, with your Deakin username and password. This link takes you directly to the 'Enrol in unit/course' process. We have configured this process to show you the steps which apply to your offer type, and your course. Keep working through each page until you receive a receipt for your enrolment.
Ensure your browser has pop-ups enabled. StudentConnect (where you enrol online) uses pop-ups to help you complete the enrolment process.
Follow the instructions to turn on pop-ups for:
For other browsers you will need to search for instructions online.
You'll need to click on the course code of the course you wish to enrol in.
- Two or more courses? You have been offered or enrolled in more than one course. Enrol in the course you wish to study only. You may need to discontinue the other course after you enrol in this one (unless you are waiting to graduate from that course)
Check your course and year that you will be enrolling in is correct. This page shows you the steps you'll be taken through to complete your enrolment. When ready click the 'START ENROLMENT' button.
Terms and conditions of enrolment at Deakin University
Read through the Terms and Conditions of enrolment at Deakin University. If you need more information read through Rights and Responsibilities. When you are ready click Accept.
Personal profile / Course details
Check your details on this page, including the campus and mode. You'll notice that your course status will say 'UNCONFIRM' which just means you haven't accepted the offer yet.
Tick the 'New Students must tick this and press submit' box, then click the 'SUBMIT' button. The page will reload and you'll notice that the course status now says INACTIVE. Click the 'CONFIRM' button. Throughout your enrolment, you may notice this status change.
- Enrolled means that your course is active and you have enrolled in units and the teaching period has started.
- Inactive means that you don't currently have any active units. This could be because a teaching period hasn't commenced, or that you haven't enrolled in any units.
Your preferred given name and addresses
This step allows you to check, provide or change your contact details, preferred name, (if relevant) and register to have your results to be sent to you by SMS.
Click the 'UPDATE' button next to each option. You will be prompted to update those details, then return to this page to check the others. The options are to;
- Update your preferred name – only provide a preferred name if you have one. Some of our systems will use this preferred name, but your full name would be used in official documents.
- Your postal address – where we send mail and also where we record your mobile phone number
- Your home address – where you live and your home phone number (if applicable)
- Results by SMS - if you want to have your results sent to you by text message at each official result release. make sure we have your mobile phone number in the Postal Address option.
- Personal (non-Deakin) email address - which we will use as well as your Deakin email for some important messages
- Primary Emergency Contact – someone Deakin should contact if you are involved in an emergency, this should be someone within Australia
- Secondary Emergency Contact
Complete the Government Statistics. Read each question carefully. You need to complete each question except:
- Question 7 only applies to domestic students. International students skip this question and go on to Question 8.
Unique Student Identifier - USI (domestic students only)
- Students accepting a Commonwealth supported place must complete this step regardless of how you want to pay your fees.
- Students wishing to receive HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or OS-HELP must also provide a verified USI.
- Failure to provide a verified USI by your first census date (view important dates) will result in your enrolment being terminated.
Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) (domestic students only)
- If you are accepting a Commonwealth supported place, you must also complete this step regardless of how you want to pay your fees.
- Complete this form also if you are a domestic student and wish to receive HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP. Visit our Government HELP schemes webpage for information on these schemes.
- If you don't have a Tax File Number (TFN) you can still complete this form, but you will need to nominate to pay your fees upfront and then go back later to add your TFN.
- Failure to provide a TFN by the census date (view important dates) will result in your enrolment being terminated.
- You can only complete this form once a day.
- If you have transferred to a new course, you must complete a new eCAF for that course.
SA-HELP (domestic students only)
Complete this form if you wish to obtain a loan to defer your Student Services and Amenities Fee through SA-HELP. Visit our Student Services and Amenities Fee webpage for information on this fee and SA-HELP. This is a compulsory fee for domestic students except those studying a higher degree by research.
- If you don't have a Tax File Number you can still complete this form, but you will need to go back later to add it. Failure to provide a TFN by the census date (view important dates) will result in you having to pay upfront.
- You can only complete this form once a day.
Majors, minors and specialisations
Complete this step if you need a major sequence, minor sequence or specialisation. For most courses when you first enrol you do not need to select a major, minor or specialisation until later in your degree once you have had time to explore. These are a set or group of units (subjects), which together, make up an approved major, minor or specialisation for your course. They are only applicable to some courses.
To select a major, minor or specialisation you click the ADD A MAJOR, MINOR OR SPECIALISATION button, then click SEARCH. You'll be provided with a list of available majors, minor and specialisations for your course. Tick the ADD box next to the major, minor or specialisation you wish to complete, then click ADD at the bottom of the screen.
Confirm you wish to add the major, minor or specialisation by pressing Save.
Then click NEXT and continue through the steps until you receive the receipt at the end of the enrolment steps.
To add a unit to your enrolment;
- Click the 'UNIT SEARCH' button.
- Enter the unit code, or a partial unit code. It is a good idea to refine your search by selecting a teaching period (eg. T1) and a unit level (eg. unit of study from a first year undergraduate program) so that you don't get too many units returned.
- Click 'SEARCH'
- From the list returned, look through to find the unit you are enrolling in. Make sure you select the right campus and study period. In the 'Action' column, click add next to the right unit.
- Then click the 'ADD' button at the bottom of the page.
You can add multiple units at once, and you can also use a comma (,) in the unit code search to search for more than one unit.
Repeat these steps until you have all the units you need for that year. You can come back in and change them up until the last date to add a unit (refer to your study period dates in the Handbook). Remember that withdrawing from a unit may have an academic and financial penalty depending on the date you do this. Always check the dates in the Handbook.
When you are ready and have all your units listed, click the 'NEXT' button at the bottom of the page.
- If all the units selected are fine, you'll see a page with these units listed and under the 'Action' column, it will show that it is about to 'Enrol' all the units.
- If there is a unit which you are unable to enrol into, you may also see a 'Breach' in the 'Message' column. Click on the breach for an explanation of the issue and how to resolve it. For more information on rule breaches, visit the Rule breaches and invalid units website. You may need to discuss this pop up with a Student Adviser.
When you are ready, click the FINISH ENROLLING button.
This page will provide you with a confirmation number for the enrolment transaction, and a summary of what you just did. You can print the receipt from this screen, or take a screenshot for your records. If you don't receive a receipt number:
- Check you don't still have to confirm or submit your units.
- 'Print evidence of enrolment' under 'Enrolment' in the left hand menu. This .pdf file will show you what units you are enrolled in. If the units are not enrolled then you need to revisit your unit selection.
Your enrolment status may be inactive. This is because you are not enrolled in the current teaching period but a future teaching period. As long as your units are enrolled you are enrolled. Your enrolment status will become enrolled once we transition to the next teaching period.