The University has specific requirements around the time limits for confirmation. They are as follows:
- full time must be confirmed within 6 months
- part time must be confirmed within 12 months
- confirmation for full time candidates will be scheduled at 9 months and must be completed within 12 months
- confirmation for part time candidates will be scheduled at 15 months and must be completed within 18 months
Apart from the Faculty information below, you will find additional information about the confirmation on the Deakin Research website
- School of Education
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Communication and Creative Arts
Further information for supervisors and chairs is available from the Faculty Research Portfolio
Sample Confirmation Documents
Communication and Creative Arts
Writing and Literature
The flow diagram below shows the possible outcomes from the confirmation process for a PhD student. Students who are not successful first time are given a second chance.
In the case of a Masters student, the flow diagram below is applicable with the removal of the option of transferring to a Masters degree.
If a part two is required, the candidate is required to repeat the confirmation process, including a public presentation.
Further information is available on the HDR resources Progress Support Panels (PSP)
Confirmations conducted via Zoom will use the following format:
- Candidate presents for 10-15 minutes
- Opportunity for 15-20 minute Q&A from panel
- Candidate leaves the meeting for about 20 minutes for the panel to confer
- Candidate invited back (with about 10 minutes left) to receive outcome
- This app is currently not available through the Deakin software library and can be downloaded from this link: Zoom meetings - support homepage
- This link above also has information on connecting to zoom meetings and setting up meetings.
You can log into Zoom using your Deakin University student username and password.
Instructions for connecting into a confirmation colloquium
Video conferencing - external panel member connecting to Deakin system - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this
it's possible to join a VMP from anywhere via Skype for Business.
Questions or to confirm the date of a confirmation, please contact email@example.com