Working with the Disability Resource Centre

Working with a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO)

When you register with the DRC, you will be assigned a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO) who will assist you to access the services available and appropriate to your particular disability, health or mental health condition.

You will initially discuss your study and course needs with your DLO by phone or face-to-face.
The DLO will ensure your registration is properly completed and advise you about services available and strategies that will help to minimise educational disadvantage.

Your DLO will be your contact at the DRC throughout your studies. If you decide you would like an Access Plan, your DLO will prepare it with your assistance and their knowledge of support and services available. With your permission, they will also provide a copy of your Access Plan to faculty and services staff whose involvement you require under the plan.

Your DLO will review your Access Plan on an agreed schedule, and be available if you need to discuss any aspects of your plan or any issues that are affecting your studies or participation at university.

What is an Access Plan?

An Access Plan is a study support plan prepared to minimise the educational disadvantage you may experience as a result of a disability, health condition or mental health condition you have.

Your Access Plan will detail what is required to assist you to participate in and meet your course requirements. It will also formally inform the University of any adjustments and/or services you require to undertake your studies.

Do you have to have an Access Plan?

When you register with the DRC for support for your studies you may be asked if you would like an Access Plan prepared and distributed to staff in the faculty in which you are enrolled.

You may choose to work with a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO) to develop an Access Plan or you may choose to not have one.

Inclusive teaching and learning practice is a high priority at Deakin, so in many cases your needs may already be met by standard practice. You are also able to liaise directly with faculty or services staff (for instance, library staff) to make arrangements for your own access and learning.

Deakin also accepts that some students will choose to not disclose their disability, health or mental health condition for personal reasons.

Learn more about Access Plans

Your privacy

The University manages personal information and health information in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic.)

The information provided on the Disability Registration Form and all attached supporting documentation will be used by the University to process your registration, to determine and manage the provision of services to you, and enable the collation, from the University's Student Management System, of statistical data required by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations in return for related funding. The University's information privacy policy is available from the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) or online.

Disclosing your disability

Enrolment information

When you first enrol, you are asked to indicate whether you have a disability or medical condition. This information is collected for Government statistical purposes. It remains confidential.

If you have indicated that you have a disability or medical condition at enrolment, the Disability Resource Centre will contact you to invite you to apply for services.

Why should you tell the University about your disability?

You are not obliged to disclose a disability or medical condition to the University. There are a number of considerations when deciding to disclose or not.

Here are some things to think about:
  • If you do choose to tell the University about your disability and the impacts on your study, we may be able to provide you with some useful support services. We receive government funding to do this, and we can't provide services unless we know what you need.
  • Even if you do not need support services, disclosing your disability in your enrolment details also helps us develop accurate statistics about students with disability at university.

Rights and responsibilities

See the students' Rights and Responsibilities page. Another interesting resource for students and staff with disability is the ADCET factsheet Rights and Responsibilities of Staff and Students.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Division of Student Administration