Concerns and complaints

We hope you find your time at Deakin to be enjoyable and rewarding. If there are things you think we could do better, please give us feedback through the feedback form under Feedback & Complaints in DeakinSync or through the eVALUate survey. If you're unhappy about something at Deakin, you can raise your concerns informally with the responsible person or area, or make a complaint to Deakin's Student Complaints Office. The process is explained below and in the attached flowchart.

Note that assessment issues are normally handled by the faculties under the Assessment (Higher Education Courses) or Academic Progress procedures.

1 Ask for help if you need it

Safer Community can help if you feel threatened or unsafe because of the way someone at Deakin is behaving. (If you are on campus now and need an immediate response, call Deakin Security on 1800 062 579.)

A Harassment and Discrimination Contact Officer can help you to clarify what's happening and decide what to do, if you think you may be experiencing discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation or bullying.

A Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) Advocate can also provide you with free, confidential advice.

2 Consider talking to the person or area causing you concern

If you feel comfortable doing so, you may be able to resolve your concerns informally by talking directly with the responsible person or area, or asking one of the following people to help you with this:

If you are considering lodging a complaint, you can also contact the Designated Complaints Contact in the relevant area. If the matter is straightforward, they may be able to resolve it for you straight away. See 'Points of contact' below.

Points of contact

Faculties and Schools

Area Complaints Contact Email Phone

Faculty of Arts and Education

  Sally Collins
Carolyn Schofield 9244 3046
5227 2268

Faculty of Business and Law

All campuses Jen Smith 9244 3859
BurwoodJohn 924 45144
Geelong Jo Wilson 5227 2505
Higher Degrees by Research Bronwyn Kelly 5227 2442

Faculty of Health

Health Student and Academic Services Melinda Thomas 925 17115
Higher Degrees by Research   

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

Faculty Complaints ContactNiki 6570
Faculty Complaints Contact Jenny Neumann 522 72119

Institute of Koorie Education

Institute of Koorie EducationKeane 522 78831

Administration and Services

IssueDesignated Complaints Contact:
Admission Domestic students: Cathy Gutierrez
Ph: 5227 3385

International students: Ping Khoo 
Ph: 924 45211                
Building maintenance

To report maintenance issues:

Cleaning Emma Connan
Ph: 522 78531
Customer service - Student Central Jodie Aanensen
Ph: 924 68106
Enrolment and re-enrolment processes

Cathy Gutierrez
Ph: 522 73385

Examinations Ross Hagland
Ph: 9246 8108

Sue Kulinski
Ph:  522 73376

For potential danger, call Security 1800 062 579. In an emergency, call 000 (add a zero if calling from an internal phone), then call Security.

Fees, student finances and refunds Pamela Pritchard
Ph: 522 73342
FinanceElyse Cumine
Ph: 9246 8641
Food services Emma Connan
Ph: 522 78531
Grounds maintenance Emma Connan
Ph: 522 78531
Information technology

Hayley Grey
Ph: 524 79594


Director, Client Services - Clare Carlsson
Ph: 925 17180

Burwood - Kim Phu
Ph: 925 17017

Geelong Waurn Ponds - Fiona Russell
Ph: 522 72713

Geelong Waterfront - Sabina Robertson
Ph: 924 46662

Warrnambool - Dorothy Rooney
Ph: 556 33349


Emma Connan
Ph: 522 78531


Burwood: Yonna Cowan
Ph: 9246 8701

Geelong: Marion Bailey
Ph: 522 73453

Warrnambool: Gabrielle Tobin
Ph: 556 33380

Scholarships Pamela Pritchard
Ph: 522 72342

Phone (free call) 1800 062 579

Complaints Contact: Emma Connan
Ph: 522 78531

Student administration Ross Hagland - Assessment and Result issues
Ph:  924 46005

Belinda Roberts - Graduation issues
Ph: 924 45494

Cathy Gutierrez - Admission and Enrolment issues
Ph: 5227 73385

Pamela Pritchard - Fee and scholarship issues
Ph: 522 7232

Jodie Aanensen - Customer Service issues
Ph: 924 68106

Student support services Salli Bruce
Ph: 522 7115959
Study overseas Victoria Heron
Ph: 924 45277
Visa issues and CoE reporting Clare Wilson
Ph: 9244 5091

3 Lodge a complaint with Deakin's Student Complaints Office

If the matter is still not resolved, or you would like it handled at the University level, you should lodge a complaint through the Student Complaints Resolution policy and procedure.

The concerns or complaints information page may help you to prepare your complaint.

Please email if you have questions about the complaint resolution process or would like to talk to one of the Student Complaints Office staff.

4 Appeal

If you're not happy with the outcome of your complaint and would like the matter to be reconsidered, you may have grounds for an internal appeal. You can also seek an external review of final University decisions by the Victorian Ombudsman.

Page custodian: Pro Vice Chancellor (Planning and Integrity)
Last updated: