Funding your WIL experience

Studying overseas or interstate doesn't need to break the bank. You could be eligible for financial assistance, to help with the cost of travel, accommodation and program costs.

WIL Student Support Scheme

Please note that the WIL Student Support Scheme is closed for 2020.

Is completing a WIL placement putting you under financial pressure? The WIL Student Support Scheme can help you by easing financial stress and allowing you to have hands-on relevant work experience locally or overseas.

Financial assistance may be available available for domestic undergraduate students enrolled in one of the following WIL units:

  • Any local or overseas internship for course credit
  • Global Education Program (GEP) placements
  • Any pre-service teaching placements undertaken by education students.

Students should apply as soon as they are enrolled in their WIL unit and applications for the relative trimester are open. Funding for each faculty is limited. Applications for each faculty will close when all funds are allocated.

Eligibility criteria and how to apply can be found via the below link:

WIL Student Support Scheme


Available only for students on a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). The maximum loan a student can borrow in 2018 is $6,791, or $8,149 if studying in Asia (plus a supplementary amount of $1,085 if you will be undertaking Asian language study in preparation for study in Asia).

Eligible programs:

  • Internships (for course credit) outside of Australia.
  • Global Education Program (GEP)
  • Study Tours
  • Short Term Programs
  • Exchange/Study Abroad
  • Volunteer Abroad

Students should apply for an OS-HELP Loan as soon as they receive an offer into a program and have enrolled. Further eligibility criteria applies. See link below.


General student loans:

The University provides interest free student loans, for study related expenses, to students who are in financial need and are progressing satisfactorily with their studies.

Currently enrolled undergraduate, postgraduate, off-campus, full time and part time students in an award course are eligible to apply.

Further information is available by on Division of Student Administration can be found via:

General student loans

Deakin Scholarships:

We’re here to support you. Whether it’s helping you overcome disadvantage or recognising academic merit, one of our many scholarships could transform your life and your future.

Search for Deakin Scholarships

Travel Grants in Arts and Education

Please note that travel grant applications are closed for T1 2020.

For undergraduate and postgraduate students in the Faculty of Arts Education undertaking an internship for credit towards their course. Internship travel grants are for students required to relocate from their current residence for the duration of an approved placement.

To be considered for an Internship Travel Grant, students must:

  • be currently studying in an Arts and Education Faculty course.
  • demonstrate an approved placement requiring relocation from current residence for duration of placement. Relocation includes:
    • interstate from current residence,
    • rural location in Australia, OR
    • overseas location from current residential location or country of citizenship.
  • demonstrate an approved placement towards an Arts internship unit (ie: unit commencing with an 'A')
  • be enrolled in an approved internship unit on StudentConnect prior to applying for a travel grant
  • register travel information on the Deakin Abroad Portal (international placements only)

Grants are subject to availability and are awarded up to $500 for rural or interstate placements and up to $1,000 for an international placement. Grants amounts are determined based on responses in travel grant application, duration of placement and average cost of living in placement location compared to Australia.

Apply for an Internship Travel Grant

Last updated:
Page custodian: Faculty of Arts & Education