SEBE Health and Safety
This area is a starting point for any students studying in the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment (SEBE) who require more information about Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) issues.
Safety Inductions and Training
It is mandatory for all students enrolled in a SEBE unit to complete a Safety Induction Program which covers OH&S issues that are likely to be encountered during study. Each unit includes a safety quiz in which you must achieve a mark of 70% or greater to pass. Failure to successfully complete the quiz may result in attendance in practical classes/workshops being restricted; and results for other units may be withheld until successful completion.
- Read and understand safety induction material in the unit teaching site for the applicable unit:
- Pass the safety quiz before the end of week 2 of trimester
- Remain enrolled in the unit for the duration of the trimester
Higher Degree by Research (HDR) and Honours students
All HDR and Honours students who work in a practical lab must complete lab safety training. View instructions (PDF, 556.2KB) on how to access this training.
If you are working with any hazardous materials, equipment or processes the hazards need to be identified and control measures put in place to reduce the risk and keep you and others safe.
A starting point for assessing hazards in research work is a Work Safety Assessment, which you and your supervisor should complete before work starts. The information below is a useful resource for risk management of your work.
- SEBE Chemical Management Guidelines (PDF, 215.4KB)
- Chemical Risk Assessment form (XLSX, 171.2KB)
- Peroxide forming chemicals training (PDF, 360.1KB)
- Peroxide forming chemicals information sheet (PDF, 105.4KB)
Fieldwork & off-campus
- SEBE Research Fieldwork safety guidelines (PDF, 537.5KB)
- SEBE Fieldwork notification to Duty Officer (PDF, 832.3KB)
- Work Safety Assessment - Fieldwork & off-campus (DOCX, 241.1KB)
Biological and Biosafety
Information, inductions, training as well as forms and guidelines can be found on the Biosafety and Biosecurity page
Find out how to set-up your work station and avoid injury. See our OH&S in the office video
University OH&S Manual
The manual sets out instructions about Occupational Health and Safety and provides information about safe work practices, managing risk and assisting in providing a safe environment.
- View the manual
Student Health and Wellbeing
Information about security, medical and health services, sports and recreation facilities, what to do in an emergency, and student counselling services.
For more information, visit Health and wellbeing site