Building Access

Key and Access Card information for University students.

Please Note: Due to the COVID-19 situation the online Keys and Access Request page is currently unavailable.

Who can obtain a key/access?

The following people can obtain a key or access card:

  • University staff
  • Students (conditions apply, for further assistance contact your Faculty)
  • Contractors / visitors / lessees (conditions apply)
  • Cycle users

The policy on keys, access cards and locks is named 'Security Procedure' and can be found on The Guide.

How to request a key/access

Staff and students may make the following requests online:

  • New key
  • New access(please ensure you have had a staff/student ID card produced)
  • Update access on an existing access card

How the online key/access card process works

  • Select the key/card authoriser from your business area.
  • Select a key by entering a room ID or cylinder ID and/or enter access card requirements in text box provided. Enter any additional notes in the field provided, if necessary.
  • Upon submitting the request your authoriser will receive an email notification and the request will be approved/rejected. You will receive an email confirmation upon approval/rejection including any notes pertinent to your request.
  • All approved requests will be processed by Campus Services Division. You will receive an email when your key is ready for collection.
  • You will be required to provide ID upon collection of your key.
  • Requests for access will be added to your staff/student ID card.  You will receive an email once this has been completed.
Request TypeAction
Change a request for keys or access cards Please email enquiries for keys to or access card to

How the offline key/access card process works

You will be unable to request a replacement key online that has been lost or stolen until it has been reported.  For security and administrative reasons the following requests/issues are dealt with separately, offline:

Request TypeAction
Replacement of lost/stolen keys/access cards Please report any lost or stolen keys/cards via the online access request form
Requests for sub master keys Please email enquiries to

Bulk requests for access cards Please email enquiries to
Request a key and/or access card on someone's behalf Please email enquiries to
Replacement of lost/stolen/broken card If your access card is broken a new Deakin Card (Student ID) can be printed at Student Central. The new card will activate with the same access within 3 hours and will cancel your old card.  Printing will activate in 1 hour.
Change a request for keys or access cards Please email enquiries for keys to or access card to

Collecting your key

Most key requests will be ready to collect within four working days of your request being approved by your authoriser, however, in exceptional circumstances this may take longer.

Keys must be collected in person from the Student Central selected on your request. They cannot be mailed or sent out to you in any way. You will receive an email when the key is ready for collection including any relevant advice.

You will be required to present ID upon collection.

Students who leave the University

All keys and access cards should be returned to Student Central and then you should notify your supervisor/manager to enable them to record the return on the University Exit Checklist.

Further assistance

03 5227 8165 03 5227 8165

Access Cards
03 5227 8165 03 5227 8165


03 5247 9454 03 5247 9454

Additional queries

Last updated:
Page custodian: Campus Services