Indigenous academic success
Indigenous tutorial network (ITN)
The ITN provides tutorial services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students enrolled at Deakin. The ITN program is funded by the Indigenous student success program (ISSP) within the National Indigenous Australians Agency. We use the funds to employ qualified tutors to provide academic support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students enrolled at Deakin.
Academic support officer
The academic support officer will guide you to develop the necessary study skills to excel in your course. They will help you prepare for assessments as well as further develop your abilities to write, plan, take effective notes and remember important details. They can also be a point of contact to refer you to other services provided by Deakin to help you to reach your academic goals.
With the support of the academic support officer, you can:
- Understand your assessment tasks.
- Gain feedback to help you plan, write and revise your work.
- Develop strategies to help you improve and develop your study skills.
You can sign up for one-on-one, small group sessions or attend workshops on areas of need that have been selected by your lecturers.
There are four ways you can make the most out of your time with the academic support officer:
- Bring or send your assignment question and your draft so far (if you’ve have one). It doesn’t matter what stage you are up to!
- Bring or send your unit guide and any assessment instructions.
- Decide which section of your work you want to focus on, such as referencing, assessment structure or finding the right information.
- Make a list of questions you have about your assignment.
You can contact the academic support officer by email or book a session below.
Deakin academic support
Deakin offers several academic support services for students, which include:
- Maths tutors.
- Academic skills guides.
- 30 minute Skype appointments with language and learning advisers.
- Writing and maths mentors.
- 24-hour response to referencing and quick study skills tips.
- 24-hour/7 days a week service for online tutoring.
For more information, please visit academic support.