How to apply
A step-by-step guide to getting your opportunity assessed for WIL credit.
What is a self-sourced opportunity?
A self-sourced opportunity is an internship or role you have sourced through your own search efforts. This may include negotiating a placement through your personal or professional networks or applying for advertised vacancies via a job board or other platform.
Who can apply?
Applications to have a self-sourced opportunity assessed for credit towards our WIL units can be made by any student who can undertake a WIL unit as a core or elective credit point within their degree.
Completed applications via our online application system, InPlace, must be submitted at least 10 university working days before your internship start date.
The WIL team accept self-sourced applications for the following units. Please note that all units will have their own individual pre-placement modules and assessment requirements.
- Internship – MWL318/MWL718
- Legal Professional Practice – MLL338/MLJ738
It is your responsibility to ensure that taking a WIL unit contributes towards your course requirements, and will not prevent you from meeting your course rules. Please speak with a Student Adviser if you are unsure; you can contact them on email@example.com or (03) 9244 6555.
Please note that late applications are strictly not accepted.
|Trimester||Applications open||Applications close||Recommended dates|
|T1 2022||Monday 17 January 2022||Sunday 20 March 2022|
|T2 2022||Monday 4 April 2022||Sunday 24 July 2022|
|T3 2022||Monday 22 August 2022||Sunday 20 November 2022|
Please contact the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) team at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
How to apply?
- When you have received support from a host organisation to proceed, you and your host must complete the WIL application form below:
- Once the application form is complete, login to InPlace to complete your online application. You must complete the additional online fields, upload the completed form and submit any other documents as indicated on InPlace.
- We require at least 10 university working days to process your application and assist you with enrolling – please bear this in mind when negotiating a start date.
- Our team will review your application and advise you of the outcome via your Deakin email address. We will also contact you should we require additional information or if your application is incomplete.
- If your application is approved you will be notified via your Deakin email address and instructed on how to enrol in the relevant unit via StudentConnect. Our units are ‘locked’, and it is not possible to self-enrol until your application is approved.
- Once your application is approved and you are enrolled, you must review the unit requirements such as pre-placement modules and assessments via CloudDeakin. You can then commence your WIL experience as outlined in your application.