How to apply
A step-by-step guide to getting your self-sourced opportunity assessed for WIL credit.
What is a self-sourced opportunity?
A self-sourced opportunity is an internship or role you have sourced through your own search efforts. This may include negotiating a placement through your personal or professional networks or applying for advertised vacancies via a job board or other platform.
Who can apply?
Applications to have a self-sourced opportunity assessed for credit towards our WIL units can be made by undergraduate and postgraduate students who can undertake a WIL unit as a core or elective credit point within their degree. Completed applications must be submitted at least 10 university working days before your start date.
We are currently accepting self-sourced applications for the following WIL units:
- Internship – MWL318/MWL718
- Work Based Learning – MWL318/MWL718
- Legal Professional Practice – MLL338/MLJ738
It is your responsibility to ensure that taking a WIL unit contributes towards your course requirements, and will not prevent you from meeting your course rules. Please speak with a Student Adviser if you are unsure; you can contact them on firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 9244 6555.
How to apply?
- When you have received support from the host organisation to proceed, you and your host organisation must complete the appropriate Application Form below:
- Once this Application Form is complete, login to InPlace to complete your application via this system. You must complete the additional online fields, upload the completed Application Form and any other documents as indicated on InPlace.
- Our team will review your application and advise you of its outcome via your Deakin email address. We will also contact you should we require additional information or if your application is incomplete. Please note this can cause delays in your application being processed.
- If your application is approved you will be notified via your Deakin email address and instructed on how to enrol in the relevant unit via StudentConnect. Our units are ‘locked’, and it is not possible to self-enrol until your application is approved.
- Once your application is approved and you are enrolled, you must review the unit requirements via CloudDeakin. You can then commence your WIL experience as outlined in your application.
Last day to submit a complete self-sourced WIL application via InPlace is:
- T1 2021: Now Closed
- T2 2021: 1 August 2021
- T3 2021: 1 December 2021
Late applications are strictly not accepted.
Please contact the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) team at email@example.com for any questions regarding your application.