Low Risk Human Ethics application forms
Deakin staff or student low risk human ethics applications may be submitted to HEAG-H at any time.
Applications: Please note that all applications must be signed and approved by the Head of School before submission to HEAG-H.
Forms are available here.
There have been some changes in the requirements for low-risk ethics applications.
- Please use the low risk application form for all submissions to HEAG-H.
- The 'Victorian Privacy Supplement' is now only required where the project involves a waiver of consent. Waiver projects should always go to DUHREC, so this supplement is no longer required for HEAG-H applications.
- Applications required to be reviewed by another Australian Human Ethics Committee must be submitted to DUHREC on the Previously Approved Application form.
- Application for exemption from ethics review must be submitted to DUHREC on the Exemption from Ethics Review form
- There is a Plain Language Statement and consent form (PLSC) designed for use in low risk projects. These are available from the forms link at the top of this page.
Applicants who wish to submit an application through HEAG-H should include a low risk application form, a copy of the PLS and consent form as well as any other relevant paperwork such as copies of surveys, interviews, questions, and approvals from external agencies.
Higher than low risk applications should be submitted to DUHREC on the Human Research Ethics Application (HREA).
Modification of HEAG-H approved projects (including extensions):
Researchers must seek approval prior to modifying HEAG-H approved research projects. Please ensure this form is fully signed.
Researchers must submit an annual review/final report due the 1st of December each year, and on completion of the project.
Organisational Consent form:
If you are recruiting Deakin staff and/or students for a research project, you will need to apply for permission from either the Unit Chair (if recruiting from individual units), Course Coordinator (if recruiting from course/s), Head of School (if recruiting from one school), Pro Vice Chancellor or Associate Dean of Research (if recruiting from two or more schools in the same faculty) or the Dean of Students (if recruiting from two or more faculties). Please download and complete the form with your ethics application form.
Where do I submit my application?
Electronic copies complete with signatures must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted electronically.
Office of Executive Dean, Faculty of Health
Telephone: (03) 9251 7174
- Low risk application form
- Low risk plain language statement and consent form
- Human Research Ethics Application (HREA) form
- Request for modification form
- Annual/Final report form
- Organisational Consent form
- DUHREC Web Page
Expedited Review Checklist Information
* Please note, although researchers are likely to tick at least one or two of the boxes indicating a potential for higher than low risk, this does not necessarily mean that the application is ineligible for expedited review - only that the researcher is required to complete the special case assessment section explaining how this potential will be managed or minimised to ensure that the project remains low risk.
Plain Language Statements and Consent Forms
* For applications submitted to HEAG-H the complaints clause must read:
The Manager, Research Integrity, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood Victoria 3125, Telephone: 9251 7129, email@example.com
Please quote project number [HEAG-H XX_201X].